Parabuthus villosus Burrowing Question

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I have a 6th instar female Parabuthus villosus black. Her setup is decent, I prepared it according to the directions here and she seemed happy. However, about three weeks ago she burrowed. She was digging burrows all the time and there are many underground tunnels but this time she blocked the access completely and did not come out for three weeks.

Now , knowing how fat she is, I assume she is getting ready to molt but all that sand/clay on top of her with no visible exit kind of scares me. I know she is alive as she moves slightly from day to day as she is visible from the bottom of the glass enclosure but since she hasn`t had any fluids at all since the burrowing, directly or indirectly, makes me a bit worried.

What do you guys think? Should I just leave her be or should I dig her out?

snippy

Arachnobaron
Leave her be! That is a typical behavior, that I can see in all my Parabuthus spp.! Be it that it is due to molting, being gravid or even due to the lower temperatures during winter. Offer water in the regular way, when she needs some, she will get it.

Regards
Finn

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I just spray water to the side of the glass once a week, which evaporates in 2-3 minutes.

snippy

Arachnobaron
Put a lid of a beer or something small in there and fill it up every week or so. When they really want they come out immediately after it has been filled.

Regards
Finn

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Or maybe u can fill up a cap of water! U know burrowing scorps, they never come out! My A Armoureuxi also seals himself underground with no exit...

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
And she comes out approx. 6 weeks after burrowing looking bigger but as thin as flat rock scorpion! Currently munching on an adult lateralis female ;).

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not sure if this has ben said but a good way to provide a subeterrianan water gradiant is to use a pvc pipe with screen on one end, simply push it to the base of your substrate verticly standing that is, then poor water down the tube into the substrate creating a lower moisture substrate and dryer surface- the screening is so the animal doesnt go down the tube on you.

As most species burrow to find this moisture beneath the surface it may help if you have worries.