Pamphobeteus loves sitting in his water dish

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Recently, I’ve been noticing my Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma juvenile male has taken a liking in sitting in his water dish. I don’t know why he does this but whether there is water or not he will lightly place his butt in the water dish. He’ll tip it over so the water goes out and then flip it BACK over to sit in the water dish. I’m not really upset I just think this is really funny, anyone have any idea why he may do this?
266FF293-4E84-487D-94F4-B94CEC562E21.jpeg
D99B89C4-7B7E-4CAC-9EAD-4A8761194EB0.jpeg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Because that's the only place in the enclosure where it's butt doesn't get tickled by moss when it's resting? Pamphos are notorious water-dish-trashers - mine are constantly seeing what new and exciting things they can fit in their water dish, so consider yourself lucky that the new, exciting thing yours found to put in it is itself!

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
When I see this I get a little nervous and usually go check their last molt for a sucking stomach, but I am paranoid

Then my next step in stressing myself out is to make sure they aren't dehydrated, that the soil isnt too shallow or dry especially if they are a moisture dependent species (more substrate holds moisture longer), and that they have an appropriate sized hide...even too big can make them nervous and look for something that makes them feel a bit more secure.

@NMTs brought up a good point with the moss, I never would've considered that but it's a great point. I'd probably remove a section and see if it draws him in lol.

Sorry to project my paranoia...I have a female G rosea who loves hers too (arguably one of the driest kept species on the planet) and went through the same "checklist." I gave her a moist corner and guess where she moved to?

Since your buddy is moisture dependent that would be my first trial too...see if he is making his own moist substrate so he has humidified air at the one place he needs it...the book lungs ❤

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Because that's the only place in the enclosure where it's butt doesn't get tickled by moss when it's resting? Pamphos are notorious water-dish-trashers - mine are constantly seeing what new and exciting things they can fit in their water dish, so consider yourself lucky that the new, exciting thing yours found to put in it is itself!
Inside his hide is devoid of moss lol, im glad it’s just him too!

When I see this I get a little nervous and usually go check their last molt for a sucking stomach, but I am paranoid

Then my next step in stressing myself out is to make sure they aren't dehydrated, that the soil isnt too shallow or dry especially if they are a moisture dependent species (more substrate holds moisture longer), and that they have an appropriate sized hide...even too big can make them nervous and look for something that makes them feel a bit more secure.

@NMTs brought up a good point with the moss, I never would've considered that but it's a great point. I'd probably remove a section and see if it draws him in lol.

Sorry to project my paranoia...I have a female G rosea who loves hers too (arguably one of the driest kept species on the planet) and went through the same "checklist." I gave her a moist corner and guess where she moved to?

Since your buddy is moisture dependent that would be my first trial too...see if he is making his own moist substrate so he has humidified air at the one place he needs it...the book lungs ❤
He does have a moist side of his enclosure, where the water dish is lol. He keeps it very hydrated by knocking it over all the time!:rofl:

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
probably its hoping you put a larger dish so it can start pooping into it

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Recently, I’ve been noticing my Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma juvenile male has taken a liking in sitting in his water dish. I don’t know why he does this but whether there is water or not he will lightly place his butt in the water dish. He’ll tip it over so the water goes out and then flip it BACK over to sit in the water dish. I’m not really upset I just think this is really funny, anyone have any idea why he may do this?
View attachment 474976
View attachment 474977
I gave a T a peanut butter lid as a water / mealworm dish and it took it as a hide .

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
An update, he is still doing it.

I realized it was NOT the moss, because earlier he was resting just fine on it.