Paint

neromel

Arachnopeon
What paint can i use for a 3d background? Is acrylic good? What thing should i look for that are toxic to reptiles / tarantulas ?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When it comes to 3d backgrounds, paint can make them look really tacky or fake if not done perfectly, and I'm not aware of any that arent toxic. I've had great experiences covering the "great stuff foam" with black aquarium silicone, and then putting a mix of peat and cocofiber on it while it's still wet and gooey. This really disguises the foam well and gives a natural look that's easy for them to grip on, and doesn't risk using any toxic chemicals.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Most likely anything's safe once it's dry, but you could Google aquarium safe paint. All those hideous fish tank decorations like sunken treasures were obviously painted with something.

neromel

Arachnopeon
When it comes to 3d backgrounds, paint can make them look really tacky or fake if not done perfectly, and I'm not aware of any that arent toxic. I've had great experiences covering the "great stuff foam" with black aquarium silicone, and then putting a mix of peat and cocofiber on it while it's still wet and gooey. This really disguises the foam well and gives a natural look that's easy for them to grip on, and doesn't risk using any toxic chemicals.
The issue is that great stuff foam is not imported to malta i need to find soemthing simelar . In that case what are the thing to not find to be good for t? Thanks for the reply

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The issue is that great stuff foam is not imported to malta i need to find soemthing simelar . In that case what are the thing to not find to be good for t? Thanks for the reply
Hmm, you could also try and carve styrofoam and cover that up with some aquarium safe silicone too?

Cichlid fishkeeper forums would probably have a lot of advice on safe paints and materials since anything that's safe in an aquarium is safe for spiders. They also are huge DIYers and make lots of foam backgrounds for their cichlid tanks, so they'd definitely be the ones to go to for advice. Dart frog forums like dendroboards are also great but they use the "great stuff foam" almost exclusively, they'd still probably have good advice though!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
This looks like a job for @HooahArmy
Yes. We have discussed this. The MSDS on residual toxicity are anything but clear and straight forwards. It comes down to a guessing game - latent weathering resistance. Once the paint has dried, has it become naturally stable and resistant to environmental effects, or does it retain some degree of toxicity to aid in prolonged stability and weathering resistance.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The only “paint” that I would ever use in a enclosure is drylock mixed with different dry or liquid pure pigment, I would never use acrylic as it would not hold up.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
The conch has been blown and Hooah Army is summoned!
Please pardon my lateness as I am currently on a military mission and the connection out here is as sporadic as can be...

But, to the chase!
Paint comes in so many varieties, it can be hard to tell them apart and know what's safe, but most paints fall in 2 categories: the kind that dries (water evaporates out) and the kind that cures (a chemical reaction process where vapors are emitted).
Water-based paints are usually less enduring and pose the risk of flaking, peeling, bubbling, or being scraped off by a pet; especially in enclosures that are misted or have any moisture hanging around. I don't recommend these paints, since they never last long and can be disrupted by the presence of water.
Chemically-cured paints are better and have enduring power. Some can be used underwater (aquarium paint, waterproof paint, etc) while others are certified food safe (dish paint). For this category, I prefer the latter. You can find them in most craft stores in places where you can buy those little bottles of acrylic paint for assorted arts (in the same section). Look specifically for the ones that state themselves as 'dishwasher safe' or 'food safe'. These are less likely to flake/get weird around water, and are safer near a pet.
However, just in case the dish safe paints or aquarium paints are difficult to purchase, you can also make critter-safe painted items yourself. There are glazes used for dishes that are labeled 'dishwasher safe' and 'dish safe', among which are popular brands such as Mod Podge.

How to make your own ornaments with dish safe/glaze:
1. Paint your item with your paint or pigment of choice and let it FULLY cure or dry. This can take from a few days to a few weeks. Add time to ensure full drying/ curing!
2. Coat your item with dish-safe Mod Podge or other food safe glaze. This stuff tends to need to cure NOT dry, so expect a wait time of about 2 months, plus 2 weeks for extra safety.
3. When finished, test your item by placing it in a empty bin you mist often, or near water; in any environment that closely resembles the one intended. Observe the next few days.
4. If they item shows flaking, smudging, bleeding, bubbling, you may need more coats of glaze and then cure it again.

*As a rule of thumb, if a paint, pigment, glaze, or other coating isn't rated to be safe for you, it will not likely be safe for your pet as well!

Pro Tip for Styrofoam:
When painting Styrofoam, some folks make a mistake and want to erase their paint of choice with paint thinner or acetone. Don't do this!!! Acetone and other solvents will also dissolve foams.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@HooahArmy If the material is completely stable it becomes potential permanent pollution. If not stable, it presents potential toxic pollution as it breaks down.
Wonderful world we have made for ourselves.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'd just print (or paint) on 030 styrene cut to size and mount on the outside of the tank with art facing in

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
What paint can i use for a 3d background? Is acrylic good? What thing should i look for that are toxic to reptiles / tarantulas ?
If yours is a glass tank, there are Hundreds of backgrounds available that are commonly used by fishkeepers.

They come in an amazing variety, Desert, Forest,Below Water, Above Water, Jungle Scenes, etc,etc.

I use them on all my glass tanks, just mount outside facing in, and insulate over the outside of that.

Most backgrounds are double sided, with different scenes on both sides, so you have even more choice.

It livens up a plain tank without the worry of paints, chemicals etc.
Then you can add as much decor as needed on the inside to make the internals suitable for the inhabitants.