P. ornata or P. regalis??

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've been a little paranoid about mislabelling of T's ever since I bought a PZB labelled as a L. parahybana (obvious difference, I know). And I'm thinking that this labelled P. ornata looks just like a P. regalis sling.

I know they look very similar as slings, but is there any way of telling a difference at this size?

Thanks,
Jim B.

Attachments

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
actually i had a P.ornata that died on me, and it looks exactly like that. Good Luck!

James

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've never had a P ornata that small, but it looks exactly like my P regalis slings (of 1" plus)
that said, I'm hoping someone that actually knows what they are talking about replies to this thread ;)

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
Looks like a regalis to me..
Ornata is a bit darker.

Here are some webcam pics of my babies old molted skins:

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I would say regalis because thats exactly what mine looks like right now at about 1 1/2" But who knows... if they are anything like Avics then there isnt much difference between some of the diff species

peace

TheDon

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Since there's not much to compare them except one is a little darker than the other... I'm going to wait until she molts and see if her color changes at all or if it's more apparent to what she is.

I already have 4 P. regalis and both of my P. ornata matured into males, so I really want this to be an P. ornata especially since it's a girl. :) But, I'll have to wait and see I guess.

I already talked to the place I bought her from and they said they could order me another one if it turned out to be something different.

Thanks for the replies and pics!
Jim B.

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm red/green color blind and I have had both as slings. Trust me one is noticibly darker. I currently have a 2" P. regalis and it's easy to tell the difference.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll get some pics of my two baby ornatas tomorow. They're both from a reputable dealer, and the same brood. One moulted the other day so is around an inch, and the other hasn't yet, and is around .75 inch...

I'll resurect the thread if it falls to the depths of arachnoboards