Orange Huntsman (Thelcticopis modesta) egg sac

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a Orange Huntsman (Thelcticopis modesta) with what looks to be an egg sac. I think its an egg sac because when I asked botar for a female he had told me more than likely i would be getting one because it seemed like all he had was females. I asked him how did he know they were mostly females, he said because they kept laying egg sacs. So I guess I have a female with an egg sac. I have never tried to breed her at all, and I only have ONE huntsman anyway so is this a dud egg sac or is it a real one? if its a real one what do I do? Also I keep my tarantula room (where i keep this huntsman at) humid all the time if that matters.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's probaby good, these little orange huntsmen are very prolific as the females are constantly dropping sacs. Just leave her be...sh'e detach it and hold onto the sac for a few days. You should see it eeventually grow until it pops and there are hundreds of fleet footed babies running around for you to catch.

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the spider havent been with a male, the sack will be empty.
The modesta females make a lot of sacks, but they are not partenogenetic, so it have to have been in contact with a male, before you get little slings.
Regards Mikael

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They're not parthenogenic...but they are iteroparic. They can hold onto sperm for a long time and produce multiple eggsacs from one mating. My guess is that she was mated in the wild, caught, and is now making her babies...
If she hasn't molted in your care then the eggsac will probably be viable.

Chris

Brianhogs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
female spiders are able to mate and keep deposits of sperm to use for later.