NorCal Palpigradi Hunting

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone,

The order Palpigradi is one of the most obscure and least-understood groups of arachnids. I have always gravitated towards the unknown, and I decided to do a bit of research on US representatives of this order.
Well, what do you know-- one particular species, Prokoenenia californica, was described 45 minutes north of where I live. I'm going to see if I can find it.

I don't know when I'll be able to set out (I can't drive quite yet), but I will keep this post updated if anything interesting happens.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had any info or experience with Palpigradi in general, so I can be prepared. Do they glow under UV light? How far deep down are they found?

Thanks.

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Update: We went to the discovery area and alas, no luck. The whole place had been turned into a neighborhood/vineyard. Palpigrade species apparently have very small ranges from what I read, so there's a chance that this species has gone extinct. It was 111 years ago, after all.

I will be heading back to try again tomorrow.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Update: We went to the discovery area and alas, no luck. The whole place had been turned into a neighborhood/vineyard. Palpigrade species apparently have very small ranges from what I read, so there's a chance that this species has gone extinct. It was 111 years ago, after all.

I will be heading back to try again tomorrow.
This is what happens to a lot of species , corporations often come in and wipe everything out. Good luck on finding this unusual species it’s possible some survived as small as they are.

Last edited:

gzophia

Arachnoknight
This is what happens to a lot of species , corporations often come in and wipe everything out. Good luck on finding this unusual species it’s possible some survived as small as they are.
Definitely; I'm hoping their small size allowed them to evade this to some extent...

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Update: Once again, no luck. Searched the area but found no signs of these elusive animals; had to give up due to heat exhaustion.

I will put the search on hiatus as the worst of allergy season passes by, and then I will continue trying.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Update: Once again, no luck. Searched the area but found no signs of these elusive animals; had to give up due to heat exhaustion.
Wishing You Good Luck on Your Quest.
Have You tried Nocturnal Search, perhaps more active at night?

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Wishing You Good Luck on Your Quest.
Have You tried Nocturnal Search, perhaps more active at night?
Thank you! I have, but only in my yard and not at the original capture site. I can't drive yet and would rather wait a few years before going to another city at night on my own haha.
To be honest, I don't know if night affects them at all. They live in the soil or under leaf litter, so the only real change at night would be reduced temperatures. Maybe it affects them though; I don't know.