Newbie with a spider.

thenerdykitten

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I just caught the most wonderful spider on the trash can today. I believe she is a type of Orb Weaver but I am not sure which one. I can't get a good pic of her because my camera phone doesn't catch her beautiful markings!

At first she scared the bejeezus out of me, then I looked again and she was just stunning. I HAD to capture her, she is too beautiful to die and I know some little punk would squish her :(

I am assuming it is a "her" because the abdomen is HUGE and I read that (mostly) only female spiders are this large.

I have not named her yet, I still can't think of a good name.

Everyone in my household is disgusted with her, but I adore her...love at "second" sight :rolleyes:

So I am going to get her a nice plastic or glass aquarium so she has more space to live. Right now she's in a small plastic container with holes drilled into the lid.

Wish me luck....more updates later...

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is the time of year she will be leaving an egg case, then she will die sometime later as they do not over-winter as adults. If I were you and you care about her,I would release her to do so.

They do not do well in captivity caught as an adult, or even as a spiderling unless you have the experience. Her metabolism should be slowing way down this time of year and she will not make it in a "container".

My suggestion is to release her and read up on them then you will be prepped for next year:)

crpy

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And go out in the woods and flip some stones and such and find youself a wolf spider or something. They do well in captivity and eats about anything. They get older too. House spiders (Kukulcania and Tegenaria spp.) do really well in captivity too, and get even older. None of these are a bit dangerous either.

Good luck!

thenerdykitten

Arachnopeon
Will Do! She's so beautiful...I will try get a decent picture of her before I release her!

So is there a specific place where I could release her so that when she makes her egg sac they will have good food and water? I will release her outside of town though, out of human contact..

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Will Do! She's so beautiful...I will try get a decent picture of her before I release her!

So is there a specific place where I could release her so that when she makes her egg sac they will have good food and water? I will release her outside of town though, out of human contact..
Well believe it or not they tend to do just fine around our homes. The shrubs and branches next to the house or any where she can attach an egg case. Depends on what species whether its a sac like Argiope or a matt like Nephila or Aranea.
If you get a pic that will be good.

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Try a jumping spider as a first arachnid. They SO rock! I absolutely love mine, they are quite spoiled and content. Two of my jumpers actually beg for flies. They will come out of their lairs, stand on their tiptoes, and look at me expectantly whenever they get hungry. They also know the vibration of my voice, and seem to respond. Jumping spiders are very smart, and probably the easiest pet spider to care for. :)