Gills

Arachnopeon
0814FFCF-7E33-4D2A-8D26-BB2D36855F87.jpeg

Do I still need a heat mat? There are 2 x 25 watt bulbs on top? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Oohhh not ideal at all!

No mat and definitely remove the heat lamp right away. Also way to much height for a terrestrial. More substrate!

(Also, that’s not a vivarium...no live plants lol)

WHERE IS EVERYONE HELP

Kitara

Arachnodemon
WHERE IS EVERYONE HELP
It was only posted 7 minutes ago. :rofl::rofl: I am still rubbing the sleepers out of my eyes.

@Gills, what species and what size are planning on housing in there? It doesn't look ideal for any tarantula, but without more specifics, it is hard to say what it should look like.

Gills

Arachnopeon
Why do I not need a heat mat? She had one in her last tank?

Oohhh not ideal at all!

No mat and definitely remove the heat lamp right away. Also way to much height for a terrestrial. More substrate!

WHERE IS EVERYONE HELP
Oohhh not ideal at all!

WHERE IS EVERYONE HELP
She is a brachyphelma auratum?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Why do I not need a heat mat? She had one in her last tank?
Unless your house is exceptionally chilly (below 60F i’d say) the spider will be just fine. In the rare situation that you would need a heat mat, it should never be directly touching the enclosure.

It’s very easy to cook a T with a heat mat and esp. a heat lamp (which should never be used.) They’re also drawn to warmer areas of their enclosure and won’t necessarily realize they’re overheating before it’s too late.

Be receptive here. This place is invaluable to new keepers!!

Gills

Arachnopeon
Thank you, will she be ok in this new tank? My son wanted to be able to see her more?

Kitara

Arachnodemon
She is a brachyphelma auratum?
Oh I didn't even see her back in the corner there.

The height of the enclosure is too high. Between the substrate and the lid there should only be 1.5 x DLS (diagonal leg span) so, for example, an 8cm T should only have 12cm to climb up. A fall from that height can kill them. I cant see the top, but if it is mesh, that is also a no go. They can get their claws stuck and injured themselves. @Asgiliath already addressed the heat. Ts can dehydrate and that will kill them.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
So if I put more substrate in will that be ok?
Unfortunately, with the doors on the front, I dont know that you will be able to put enough substrate in there. I am not a DIYer so I'm going to leave this question for others. They are much better for modifying unsuitable enclosures.

How old is your son? My daughter is 13 and completely obsessed with the Ts. Ours just got a rehouse recently for the same reason. 20190810_082134.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thank you, will she be ok in this new tank?
No.

No.

Because you just can't put enough substrate in for her to be safe. Or you can't open the doors anymore.

This is an enclosure for an arboreal T, not for a terrestrial one like yours. And even for an arboreal one this enclosure is huge. Which Exo Terra one is it? The 30x30x45cm or the 45x45x60cm?

Anyway, you need an enclosure that has more horizontal space than vertical space and can be filled with enough substrate, so there's no more than 1,5xDLS of your spider between the substrate and the top.

Furthermore, these enclosures have mesh lids that are dangerous for tarantulas, because they can get stuck with their tarsal claws in there which may result in a fatal fall.

Do your T, yourself and your son a favour and get another, a proper enclosure. This one I'd gladly use for a real vivarium with dart frogs in it. ;)

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Due to the way exo terras are designed there is no way you can put enough substrate in it unless you lay it on its back and modify the top, also the mesh top as it is now is dangerous. You would be better off with a critter keeper. This is an example of a safe terrestrial set up, still crystal clear but safe for the spider. BTW, she does have a hide..she buried it,lol.
terrestrial enclosure.jpg

Gills

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately, with the doors on the front, I dont know that you will be able to put enough substrate in there. I am not a DIYer so I'm going to leave this question for others. They are much better for modifying unsuitable enclosures.

How old is your son? My daughter is 13 and completely obsessed with the Ts. Ours just got a rehouse recently for the same reason. View attachment 317190
He is 8 and is totally obsessed as well. I was told that an exo terra would be ok which is why I bought it!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
You already got two great examples for a safe terrestrial enclosure, but as they say, all good things come in threes, here's another one: ;)

20181221_new home.jpg
The lid has an opening that even magnifies a bit. It's a Komodo terrarium I bought from Amazon.

Gills

Arachnopeon
No.

No.

Because you just can't put enough substrate in for her to be safe. Or you can't open the doors anymore.

This is an enclosure for an arboreal T, not for a terrestrial one like yours. And even for an arboreal one this enclosure is huge. Which Exo Terra one is it? The 30x30x45cm or the 45x45x60cm?

Anyway, you need an enclosure that has more horizontal space than vertical space and can be filled with enough substrate, so there's no more than 1,5xDLS of your spider between the substrate and the top.

Furthermore, these enclosures have mesh lids that are dangerous for tarantulas, because they can get stuck with their tarsal claws in there which may result in a fatal fall.

Do your T, yourself and your son a favour and get another, a proper enclosure. This one I'd gladly use for a real vivarium with dart frogs in it. ;)
Due to the way exo terras are designed there is no way you can put enough substrate in it unless you lay it on its back and modify the top, also the mesh top as it is now is dangerous. You would be better off with a critter keeper. This is an example of a safe terrestrial set up, still crystal clear but safe for the spider. BTW, she does have a hide..she buried it,lol.
View attachment 317192
It can be opened from the top so I would be able to put more substrate in it and not use the front doors?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
He is 8 and is totally obsessed as well. I was told that an exo terra would be ok which is why I bought it!
Exo terras are fine for arboreal tarantulas not terrestrials. Even for arboreals the mesh top should be removed and replaced with acrylic with holes drilled in it.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, the excess height is your main issue. A rehouse would be best, you can save that enclosure for an arboreal species somewhere down the line(people rarely stop at one in this hobby). Its just not going to be practical to use at this point, and terrestrials are literally the cheapest/easiest to setup right.

Ill also add that your sub looks quite moist, let it dry out, and don't be alarmed if you see the spider climbing/avoiding the ground for some time. Its quite normal.

Welcome to the forums.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
It can be opened from the top so I would be able to put more substrate in it and not use the front doors?
Yes, but the top should still be modified as the T could still get stuck on it.

:rofl: Mine had a plant but when I refused I just left it out because he would just bury it so we never saw it anyway.
Lol, one of my LPs had a plant and kept pulling it up, I just left in there loose...she likes to move it around and sit on it in various places, she even molted on it last time:rofl:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
There're so many different Exo Terras, some would be okay-ish, some (like this) just wouldn't.

Theoretically, yes, you could do that. But you'd need an insane amount of substrate and you would lose the ventilation in the front as well. These enclosures are just not suitable. I'd give it back and get at least a more suitable Exo Terra. I believe there's one with 30x30x20cm which I'd say is safe for your T. But you had to replace the mesh lid anyway.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Lol, one of my LPs had a plant and kept pulling it up, I just left in there loose...she likes to move it around and sit on it in various places, she even molted on it last time:rofl:
Haha... ever see your typos AFTER someone quotes you. I meant rehoused, but apparently my phone thought better.