New 'Pede Not Eating - Molting??

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Hiya,

Well I mentioned earlier I have a new centipede and am trying to figure out how best to care for it.

I fed it a lobster roach the other day, and it's still there. I don't know if this guy is getting ready to molt or if he just has no interest in roaches. He does come out and wriggle around from time to time. In fact, he came out while we had the appraiser here and was the FIRST thing the appraiser saw. :p

I'm thinking if he's out and about, it means he's hungry, but like I said, he's ignoring the roach. He's knocked peat moss into his water dish and is currently lounging around, out on display.

How often do you feed this guys? Anyone gotten a 'pede to eat a roach?
Mine's one of those Texas red-head 'pedes. S. h castaneiceps. Mine's actually blue instead of the usual black.

I'm wondering if maybe he's getting ready to molt, but how would I know? It's pretty easy to tell with tarantulas. Is there a way to tell with 'pedes?

Wysi

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WYSIWYG- Hey it's Graham... Those guys were all eating crickets, lobster roaches and smaller hissing roaches. I would give in deep substrate, a big water dish and some time. You shouldn't have any problems out of it.

It could be going into molt...I have had it for a few months (it was WC this year) and it none of the group (other than one of the small ones) had molted for me.

I wouldn't worry about it...when they eat, THEY EAT.... Maybe he's getting adjusted or gonna molt...

Good luck with it!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my centi's go off feed for a while, randomly, it seems

i just make sure not to leave any crix in with them and offer food a week later

also, i'm not positive but i *think* a fair number ofmy bugs (some centi's included) dont' seem to care for the adult lobster roaches as much as the juvs or crickets

i sort of want to do a micro study on their eating habits, but to make it worth anythign would be a fairly huge amount of effort.... :(

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wysi,
I got one of Graham's Red Heads as well. Mine was a little nervous at first, but is just fine now! Give it a little time.

My S.subspinipes was a little weird at first, too... but he got his pede thing going on now!

:D
Martin