New Mexico Tarantulas ...

glenoweth

Arachnopeon
Just wanted to clear this up.... I see this question asked a lot.

it baffles me that people are so confused about what types of tarantulas are from NM, I can confirm that around chaparral NM and El Paso, TX you will find Aphonopelma sp. and its funny that no one know how to find them .... lol I grew up there as a kid ,and if I get to go back I will be bring some Wild females home.

If you want some pointers on catching your wild caught Aphonopelma sp, Here you go.
Look for webs on the ground covering holes. the hole will be completely cover with web, normally in sandy areas with out a lot of rocks , I have never found any in rocky areas (not to say they are not there) I just have never seen them.
Bring a few gallons of water with you... Pour the water in the hole until you see the tarantula pop out... this will drown them out of the hole. as soon as the pop up have a thin stick or something to slip behind the T and his hole, blocking The Ts way back in.
then put in a Jar lol..
I would catch more T's than I could ever want as a kid doing this. this is why u see T's out more right after a rain. if its not raining and you see one walking around... 99.8% of the time it will be a MALE! and normally a MM male, looking for a female.

also I remember males being more black then the females... also Males were more aggressive and skittish where the females were docile and slow moving.

hope this helps.

P.s. there might be a few verities of this T there also. because I know some were lighter and some were darker than others. next year when I go to see the family I will do more T hunting =)

I did read this - but still it baffles me how no one living there is not doing better research on this.

Tarantula Biodiversity in Mexico

Mexico holds the second place for the number of tarantula species in the world, and it very well could get the first place, but there have been only very few people undertaking the task of describing all tarantulas native to this country, making it highly unlikely that all species have already been discovered and described. Currently, there are 66 species described for the Mexican territory.

66 ? all my years there I saw maybe 3 types

Last edited by a moderator:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Mexico the COUNTRY has many species New Mexico the US state is a different story. your title says NM and the quote is the country Mexico???

glenoweth

Arachnopeon
Mexico the COUNTRY has many species New Mexico the US state is a different story. your title says NM and the quote is the country Mexico???
ok that lol missed that.... so that is why I had only seen 3 types in New Mexico lol. thanks for clearing that up. I saw the quote under a New Mexico list