NA Scolopendra Monograph

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey All,

Just thought I would pass this information on.

Dear friends and colleagues:
While I have not actually seen the printed copy yet (I will receive it next week), I am informed by the editor, Dr. R. L. Hoffman, that my monographic treatment of North American scolopendromorph centipedes (chilopods) has now been printed and thus is available to be ordered. This is the first comprehensive treatment of a North American centipede order, and it treats a fauna comprising 3 families, 9 genera, and 27 species, with 1 generic and 23 species names newly relegated to synonymies. One new subfamily is proposed, but no new species or genera are erected because these categories were all established many years ago, most in the 19th century. The work includes keys to taxa at all levels, full illustrations of taxonomic characters, detailed distribution maps based both on reliable literature records and collection localities of preserved samples, summaries of ecological and ethological information for species where such is available, and an extensive bibliography of 233 titles. The work was designed to be of use to national and state park biologists and non-biologists/laymen as well as professional myriapodologists.

The official citation is A Synopsis of the North American Centipedes of the Order Scolopendromorpha (Chilopoda) with myself as the author, Virginia Museum of Natural History Memoir No. 5:1-108. The cost is $40 with a 4.5% sales tax for Virginia customers; shipping charges for persons in the USA are $5 for the first book and $1.50 for each additional copy; for persons outside the US, including Canada, the shipping charges are $8US for the first book and $3US for each additional copy.

To order, contact the Publications Department, Virginia Museum of Natural History, 1001 Douglas Avenue, Martinsville, VA 24112, USA (telephone +1-276-666-8600; email <books@vmnh.org>). The work is "hot off the presses" and has not yet been incorporated onto the publications page of the Virginia Museum web site, but one can print an order form for this and other Virginia Museum works at <www.vmnh.org>; click on "Information," "Books," "Book Order Form," and "To Order Information." The order can then be mailed to the above address or faxed to +1-276-632-6487.

Thank you for your interest.

Rowland M. Shelley
Curator of Terrestrial Invertebrates
Research Lab.
North Carolina State Museum of Natural Sciences
4301 Reedy Creek Rd..
Raleigh, NC 27607 USA
telephone +1-919-733-7450 ext. 756
fax +1-919-715-2294
email <rowland.shelley@ncmail.net>