n00b question...

Menthu_Rae

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm a total n00b to scorpions or any "non-normal" pet - but I was wondering (after reading in another thread about how scorpions cant climb glass) - if it would be OK to keep my Liocheles waigiensis in a roughly 2ft x 1ft x 1ft fishtank - without a lid on top?

Its unlikely/impossible for it to escape/climb out - right? Or should I invest in a lid for it - just to be safe? I read that having a lid aids in maintaining the humidity and temperature of the enclosure - however my room never drops below around 20 degrees celcius, and never goes above about 26 degrees celcius - so would this be much of a problem/issue? :confused: :confused:

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My opinion is that a lid on any enclosure is responsible keeping, regardless of what is is side, or in some cases especially because of what is inside.

A lid is a small investment to protect keepers and pets both.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The scorpion will prefer being kept at a temperature of 28-30C during the day, so a lid is really nessesary (with a heat source) to keep the heat as well as the humidty in, without one it will dry out fast. Plus as MilkmanWes said its safer for everyone invloved.

edt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also, consider "UFOs" into that could otherwise enter the enclosure. Have any cats? Mine knocked over the roach enclosure the day after I had them, it was 5' from the floor, could have been worse.

Need it for the humidity and heat NO DOUBT! Your scorp will probably not survive as long as it otherwise would. It would be like keeping you in your house, w/o a roof or doors, through summer and then winter, rain and wind. It isn't your proper enviroment, you need it regulated.

Cheers

Jon

Menthu_Rae

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How much is a heat matt - do I just source one through the local pet store?

The pet store wasn't really helpful with giving me info - I've had to do a lot of research on the net and I've found out a lot of things I didn't know beforehand...

Now as for maintaining humidity - would spraying a fine water mist throughout the tank every few days - and maintiaining the heat source be ideal for this - or do I have to take further measures?

Also... should I turn off the heat source at night? As stated in my earlier post, my room doesn't drop below about 20 degrees celcius, and atm (as its almost summer) is sitting at around 23-24 degrees celcius.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

edt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you are already up to 23-24*C, be careful with the heat, though I would still suggest it.

Mats are ok, but pricey and not perfect. Heat tape is the ultimate solution IMO, cheaper, superior, better for any application. Not sure where to get it in AU, but search, someone is bound to have it with all of the captive pythons etc. down under. Apply this from the sides, not underneath, as that throws off the naturaul borrowing = less heat instinct.

Misting is the ideal method, but look at the sticky thread with info on the "false bottom" gravel setup, that works wonders and is a bit easier after the initial setup, less probability for mold etc.

Don't turn off heat at night, just make sure to have the levels regulated so you don't cook the scorp. The naturaul temp drop during night in your room (ambient) will drop the cage enough too unless you are really blasting the enclosure with heat.

Good luck

Jon

ChupaChup

Arachnopeon
Menthu_Rae said:
(after reading in another thread about how scorpions cant climb glass)
Just be aware that the not fully grown scorpions can somethimes "climb" the siliconegleu (<--probably not the right word , but you know what i mean ;) )

MilkmanWes said:
My opinion is that a lid on any enclosure is responsible keeping, regardless of what is is side
I tottaly agree with that statement ;)

Greez Ronald

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
aye...my Babycurus jacksoni's can climb the silicon in the corners of my tank. Came home from work the first day after i got them to find two of them hanging upside down from the screen...one the next day...none today, doubt it'll last tho lol. So i also vote for a lid :)

2wire

Arachnopeon
My opinion is that a lid on any enclosure is responsible keeping, regardless of what is is side, or in some cases especially because of what is inside.

A lid is a small investment to protect keepers and pets both.

i agree , well said sir :)

jgod790

Arachnoknight
YOU ALWAYS WANT A LID!!!! And for heat, what I do, is I have a heat lamp on the lid, during the day, I use a day time bulb, then at night, switch to a red or blue night time bulb. The red and blue bulbs make it look almost pitch black for the scorpions, and they make the temperature a little bit cooler then the day time bulbs. But for a small tank, you probably dont want the light DIRECTLY on the tank, maybe get a clamp lamp, on the side of the tank.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The red and blue bulbs make it look almost pitch black for the scorpions.
If I recall correctly scorpions cant see in the red colour spectrum, so it doesnt matter about looking pitch black.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
If I recall correctly scorpions cant see in the red colour spectrum, so it doesnt matter about looking pitch black.
maybe I used a poor choice in words, that is what I meant. Your correct, scorpions can not see under red or blue lights. That is why there good for night time. Some people use ONLY red or blue bulbs, but I like to have a day/night cycle.