N. cinerea vs. Carrot

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I offered my N. cinerea colony some fresh shredded carrot last night and they almost instantly attacked and devoured it. Just about all of it was gone by the next morning.

dotdman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like you have quite a nice colony going... any clue as to how many are in it? Mine is still fairly smallish at the moment... only 300-400 (up from an initial 30+/- roaches) all told... Wonderful creatures though. And my scorps love 'em... not to mention everything else I've put them in front of...

Kindest kindest,

Kevin P.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pics.
...but now be prepared for orange excrements ;) My crixs and roaches always produce them in that colour after this type of diet :)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
dotdman said:
... any clue as to how many are in it?
I'm not exactly sure - there's only about 100 adults or so, but I just began recently using it full-time for feeding. However, there are nymphs and immatures everywhere. Maybe somewhere between 300-500 total? Not too big just yet - I think I'm going to cut back on using the adults as food and give them another couple of months to grow.

Dark Raptor said:
Nice pics.
...but now be prepared for orange excrements My crixs and roaches always produce them in that colour after this type of diet
Ugh, really? I didn't think about that...

Ecilious

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What's the other cockroach in the last picture? Do you keep Dubai's?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ecilious said:
What's the other cockroach in the last picture? Do you keep Dubai's?
Which one are you referring to?

I started out with a very small colony of B. dubia and then someone gave me some lobsters and I added them to it, thinking that I was just going to use all of them as food with no thoughts of breeding, really. It wasn't until I left them in the corner for 2 months with little maintenace and the population of lobsters exploded that I decided to keep going with it. :)

There are only a handful of dubias left - I tried using some of them as feeders, but 2 ended up dead in the spider's water dish within hours.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great pictures. I love to watch them attack and devour food like that. I have some hissers on my desk right now in clear deli cups(temp FEMA housing :) ) and they are incredible to watch eating.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
psionix said:
i thought the same thing about this one:
I guess that is one of the B. dubia - I haven't done a great job of keeping track which ones are where, since there are so few B. dubia in there.

Thanks!