My Take on the 10g Vert

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20190202_182613.jpg 20190202_182645.jpg 20190202_182631.jpg 20190202_190313.jpg
So, this is my prototype enclosure and I think it turned out well. One thing I did that I dont think I've seen anyone else do yet is I knocked out the back glass and replaced it with quarter inch acrylic so I could put some vents in (cross ventilation is an absolute must for me). Sorry I dont have any build photos right now, but I do have all my measurements that I can share if there is interest. I'm planning on making quite a few more in the future, I'll probably make a guide then. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
--Matt

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20190203_122836.jpg
AF Poecilotheria regalis going into her forever home.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 299240 View attachment 299241 View attachment 299242 View attachment 299243
So, this is my prototype enclosure and I think it turned out well. One thing I did that I dont think I've seen anyone else do yet is I knocked out the back glass and replaced it with quarter inch acrylic so I could put some vents in (cross ventilation is an absolute must for me). Sorry I dont have any build photos right now, but I do have all my measurements that I can share if there is interest. I'm planning on making quite a few more in the future, I'll probably make a guide then. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
--Matt
Very nice, like the false bottom, certainly doesn't hurt. Like the cross vent, haven't seen someone do that w/a fish tank.

Re measurements for lids and back, will be useless because all tank manufacturers are different. Provide them, w/the exact make/model, and tell people they need to measure their own before starting. ALSO, instruct them how/where you measured too. You'd surprised how people measure.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Very nice, like the false bottom, certainly doesn't hurt. Like the cross vent, haven't seen someone do that w/a fish tank.

Re measurements for lids and back, will be useless because all tank manufacturers are different. Provide them, w/the exact make/model, and tell people they need to measure their own before starting. ALSO, instruct them how/where you measured too. You'd surprised how people measure.
Thanks for the kind words. I really think the added effort for the cross ventilation is worth it and I love these vents over the mesh ones. Anyways, I intended this project to be as reproducable as possible, seeing as I want a room full at some point in time. To that end, I used one of the most commonly available 10g's in the US (Aqueon, the Petco standard) and took all my measurements from the edges of the acrylic, not from other points or drill holes. Any future build guide should be fairly straight forward and easy to duplicate with this standardization. That is once I get off my lazy behind and make one.

Thanks,
--Matt

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the kind words. I really think the added effort for the cross ventilation is worth it and I love these vents over the mesh ones. Anyways, I intended this project to be as reproducable as possible, seeing as I want a room full at some point in time. To that end, I used one of the most commonly available 10g's in the US (Aqueon, the Petco standard) and took all my measurements from the edges of the acrylic, not from other points or drill holes. Any future build guide should be fairly straight forward and easy to duplicate with this standardization. That is once I get off my lazy behind and make one.

Thanks,
--Matt

Where did you get those vents, and what are they?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Where did you get those vents, and what are they?
Actually found them on Amazon. They are titled "XMHF Stainless Steel Round Mesh Hole Air Vents 52mm/2inch Mounting Diameter 50Pcs". Ends up being like 50 cents per. I like them better (as compared to the screen mesh ones) because I dont see a T's toes being able to get caught in the bigger holes, nor do I see a way how they can go all eight legged can opener on the thicker metal between holes.

The one complaint I had is they are actually over 2" and didnt fit into the hole made by a 2" hole saw bit. Silver lining was that after using a rasp bit to slowly enlarge the holes, I was able to friction fit them into place, no adhesive necessary and rock solid.

Thanks,
--Matt

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually found them on Amazon. They are titled "XMHF Stainless Steel Round Mesh Hole Air Vents 52mm/2inch Mounting Diameter 50Pcs". Ends up being like 50 cents per. I like them better (as compared to the screen mesh ones) because I dont see a T's toes being able to get caught in the bigger holes, nor do I see a way how they can go all eight legged can opener on the thicker metal between holes.

The one complaint I had is they are actually over 2" and didnt fit into the hole made by a 2" hole saw bit. Silver lining was that after using a rasp bit to slowly enlarge the holes, I was able to friction fit them into place, no adhesive necessary and rock solid.

Thanks,
--Matt
Friction fit, nice! Yeah I like them. Def. don't think a can opener is going to town w/those!

I also like these, but have never used them, plenty of people have though

https://www.amazon.com/MAURICE-FRAN...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7JEMQTPES7AMTDWJK441

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Friction fit, nice! Yeah I like them. Def. don't think a can opener is going to town w/those!

I also like these, but have never used them, plenty of people have though

https://www.amazon.com/MAURICE-FRAN...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7JEMQTPES7AMTDWJK441
I considered those but ultimately passed. So the ones in the link actually have a screen mesh backer, as did most of the others I looked at (although there are just louvre vents out there, no mesh) . Ultimately I passed because my belief is there is a higher metal to vent space ratio with that type then with the others (meaning less airflow, but I'll admit I didnt sit down and do the measurements/math). I chose these because they are the best of both worlds in my opinion, higher airflow like the screen mesh type, but the durability and safety of the louvre type.

Thanks,
--Matt

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You'd surprised how people measure.
Nod. Nod nod nod nod nod nod. Ask 10 pro machinists how to measure a cube. Get 10 entirely different replies using several different or mixed scales of measurement.