My selenocosmia crassipes

sluit

Arachnopeon
Hey i recently got my first tarantula and am just wondering if her behavior is normal, she is an australian tarantula and is an arid species from northern queensland. She seems to like blocking herself in places, i gave her half a flower pot to hide under and she has gone inside and completely sealed off the entrance with a layer of silk. Is this normal, or is she going to moult soon or something like that>??

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
molting is normal. she'll come out when she's ready:}

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello.

I have had 3 S. crassipes and lost the two first slings to lack of humidity. The third one matured male and died 6 months afterwards. They actually come from damper areas, more than you though. They are burrowers for a start and the young specimens are most likely to stay hidden. With age they get far more visible that Haplopelmas, otherwise you can apply a similar care sheet. Adults are more robust though.

If it's your first T, I recommend that you simply leave her be, spray the end opposite to the hide profusely, it will choose its preferate level of moisture. If the spider looks obese and slow, just don't feed. Resume feeding if the abdomen decrease in volume (should be max 1 1/2 the size of the thorax, they are slimmer than NW) or once a moult occured and the fangs have returned to their normal black colouration (very important ;otherwise the prey item might attack the weakened spider).

Don't want to sound rude, but this isn't exactly the ideal starter species. Their venom is ranked pretty high, to the point that all domestic animals bitten by those died within the hour or so (the average T leaves a swollen paw and nausea, but that's pretty much it). A small child or a weakened person might fall very sick if bitten. They are aggressive and are also recognized for their great strength. If yours is female, you'll have quite a hulk to deal with once its full grown. Good luck

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't want to sound rude, but this isn't exactly the ideal starter species. Their venom is ranked pretty high, to the point that all domestic animals bitten by those died within the hour or so (the average T leaves a swollen paw and nausea, but that's pretty much it). A small child or a weakened person might fall very sick if bitten. They are aggressive and are also recognized for their great strength. If yours is female, you'll have quite a hulk to deal with once its full grown. Good luck
Maybe this person is from Australia?If so they can only keep there native species!
-Chris

sluit

Arachnopeon
thanks for all the replies, i will keep all of that in mind but i hope eugene doesnt grow up to be too mean and scary :p

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's impressive, to say the least. They are the ones with accounts of frequent vertebrates consumptions, up to reading about one hauling a 2 pounds fish up a bank:eek:

If Eugene is indeed a male, he will remain on the small side. Males from a same sac vary greatly in size but are always dwarves compared to the females. They turn pinkish when they mature!

Some young specimen have quite a shiny metallic colour, ans one of mine caught prey by travelling underground like the coyote in the roadrunner flicks, and emerge underfoot like the monsters in Tremors!!!

They are pretty special spiders, like halfway between a blondi and a OBT :D

sluit

Arachnopeon
yeh sorry, i should have been more clear, Eugene is a female, with the name eugene lol, i just liked it, and shes about a year old mabye a bit older im not sure, here is a pic !!

[/IMG]

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The Aussie spiders are very cool!I just had some crassipes hatch over here :D

AussieT

Arachnopeon
G'day,
Sluit mate, your T is not a Phlogius Crassipes but instead an arid species (either a Selenotypus or Selenotholus). Did you buy it from a petshop by any chance? As they commonly mislabel T's they stock. As it is an arid species it will grow alot slower than the grassland species (e.g. the Phlogius Crassipes) and won't get as large unless it is a S.Plumipes (P.Crassipes from the giant Kuttabul population will average between 8-9 inches) for which it is not. Post a pic on the Australian Tarantula Association Forum and we should be able to give you a more accurate ID.
Cheers
Jon

sluit

Arachnopeon
Aussie T, yeh i did buy from a petshop and was always slightly unsure of the species, I also tried to register for the ATA but they said my account was awaiting approval from an admin but its been like 5 days! they still havnt emailed and accepted me! very annoying, how long did it take for you?

upwith inverts!

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my not-so-expert opinion, it looks almost like a selenotypus sp. nebo. I could very easily be wrong, though.

AussieT

Arachnopeon
G'day
Hey Sluit, well it does take awhile. From memory it probably took around 5 days fort me as well, but I have been in the hobby now for 6 years or so, so it was a fair while ago. Its been great watching the hobby take off here in Oz and everywhere else and with it our understanding of these fascinating creatures. And our beloved hobby still looks to be on the increase, why did nature make T's so addictive? lol. {D
@ Upwith inverts, you may be right mate, though some clearer pics are needed to give a definite ID.
Cheers
Jon

Rindy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
your worries have just begun, it's like being a new mom. but like being a new mom it is rewarding. welcome