My pink toe T is burrowing i am not sure why.

Cody224411

Arachnopeon
Ive had it for a month now and she is borrowing for some reason im not to sure why?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That’s not burrowing necessarily

show pic of entire setup- I sense youlll need changes

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Does it only have cover to hide towards the substrate or does it have the ability to find cover up high?

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Better pictures (of the whole enclosure) would help as mentioned. Not apparent if burrowing, hiding or found a comfy spot. Burrowing is apparently not unknown in some arboreal tarantulas.

Tom Moran of Tom’s Big Spiders did an audio podcast on Oct 22 about this very issue. I copied and pasted his description below. It is worth listening to as well as doing more research as I am sure others have experienced this.

Tom’s Big Spiders

“First, I read a listener question and talk about last week's episode. Then, I get a lot of emails and comments from panicked keepers who are alarmed to discover that their arboreal slings and juveniles are actually burrowing. The fact is, MANY arboreal species will do some burrowing as slings and juveniles, and the correct setup should allow for and encourage this behavior. Unfortunately, many folks don't do enough research, and some of the "sling" and "juvenile" tarantula enclosures being sold do not permit for an appropriate setup. In this episode, we discuss how to keep these species correctly, why it's important to have the correct setup, and why this issue has become so prevalent.”

cold blood

Staff member
the only times I have ever seen an avic burrow was when there was a heat pad under the tank

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'm wondering if it doesn't have enough hiding places and is feeling exposed. If you try adding more foliage towards the top and some tall pieces of cork bark, it might feel more secure and start webbing towards the top.