My male retic

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinkin about getting one of these but because of the size..would that make them dangerous? I live alone and dont have any kids...but once these snakes reach a certain size shouldnt you have someone there to help you with it?..how much do these guys go for as babies?

johnny888

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinkin about getting one of these but because of the size..would that make them dangerous? I live alone and dont have any kids...but once these snakes reach a certain size shouldnt you have someone there to help you with it?..how much do these guys go for as babies?
Retics are available in super dwarf form.Probably,it is best for you to have one of those.My Sadik is a little over 10 ft. and i can still manage him alone.:razz:

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say not! At 24+ feet they could kill you as easy as your ball python kills a mouse.

Even at 15 feet they could kill you. On the other hand, they are one of my fav. boids. Like Johnny said, i'd go with a dwarf if i were you. I've worked with 15 foot burms, and 12 food boas, and the power is amazing, i dont want to think what would happen if those snakes got pissed off and tried to kill me. ;)
Good luck, and ask away with the questions, its the best way to learn!:D

~Samuel

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The way I always heard it, any snake over six foot requires more than one person when interacting with it in any way, shape, or form.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ahh, i'd have to say it depends on the type of snake, at least 8-9 is what i'd say go with, mostly an extra guy would just get in the way, unless of course the snake is killing you. :)
I've seen black rat snakes (now eastern rat snakes) over 6 feet. ;)

~Samuel

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm seriously wanting a Super Dwarf retic, but the main consideration there is the PRICE! These aren't common, and they aren't cheap, either. I've had normal retics, and a Bali Yellow-head, which is smaller than the mainland subspecies, but still gets to be an impressive, 14-foot snake, and that size was the primary reason I stopped keeping really big boids. Recently I saw a female Kayuadi(sp.?) retic for sale at a reptile show, who was a proven retired breeder, and she was no larger than a good-sized Ratsnake, maybe 5-6 feet, smaller in fact that many of the "greenish" Rats I've caught in the back yard, and she was very docile. Since female pythons are typically bigger than males, a male of that island subspecies would be really small, and easy to manage even for a single individual or an older person like me. Color and pattern-wise, they're not quite as impressive, but I can live with that as a trade-off for a retic that's safe to handle. Retic skin is incredibly soft and iridescent, which is another reason to have one you can actually hold.

pitbulllady

johnny888

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm seriously wanting a Super Dwarf retic, but the main consideration there is the PRICE! These aren't common, and they aren't cheap, either. I've had normal retics, and a Bali Yellow-head, which is smaller than the mainland subspecies, but still gets to be an impressive, 14-foot snake, and that size was the primary reason I stopped keeping really big boids.

pitbulllady
I am glad that some of retics from some locality do not grow that much also and sometimes i can have them for free especially if i was the one who caught it.{D

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck, and ask away with the questions, its the best way to learn!:D ~Samuel

So super dwarf rectics grow to a maxium size of what? and how much are they? and as for feeding? juvenile rats about 2 every other week? what is the general temperment of a retic? is a 55 gallon tank good for the adult life of one of these dwarfs.

I was also in the market for a jungle carpet python but the only issue i think ppl have with these guys is that at first they will be nippy until they are handled properly on a daily basis. I love the fact that they hang up high and grab their meal off the ground and curl it back up into their body suffacate it then eat it. and I love the black and yellow colors.