My grey tree frog pics/setup! (56K warning!)

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My grey tree frog pics/setup! (56K warning!...more pics!)

Heres the setup and what little pictures i could get of my grey tree frogs that i rescued recently. Theres 3 males and a female in there, but they are hidden so well and its hard to catch them out except at night.

First the enclosure. They are all housed in a 20 gallon high with coco substrate and sphagnum moss, with a tubberware container in the middle for them to soak in which is about 1" deep :)...

I made my own version of a rotten log but placing coco fiber blocks that were only partially disolved by water and moss and placing them between cork bark. They like it a lot and mostly stay in this area....

Here is my female hiding out....

This is the only male at the moment i could catch out and about, and what i believe is the result of frogs living around an industrial plant and old waste site. This male is deformed in a lot of ways as seen in the pic. His head is deformed and he only has 1 eye. 2 of his legs are deformed and he has less toes on one and more toes on the other. Its kinda weird but i love him and hes happy sitting on his perch. He is smaller than the others and always sits out keeping an "eye" on things :p. Lets stop the pollution before our kids start looking like this!!!....

Well thats all i have for now. Will take more this weekend when im at home at night and can catch all 4 of them out and about. Picture quality isnt great because my camera sucks! Anyways, hope you all enjoyed them :).
Cheers

Last edited:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh yea forgot to mention it, but I am not done with this enclosure yet. So far i have 98.00 in it with everything, i plan on adding a lot of suction cup hanging plants on the back wall and a decent water dish in the middle. I was thinking of putting in a waterfall going into a tiny little pond and filteration, but i do not have the money for that sort of thing and i fear the noise would be added stress they dont need. Not to mention everyone already thinks im crazy for spending the money i am already on a local species. Seems most people do not appreciate them. I think they are the most beautiful tree frogs i have ever seen. They turn from green, to grey, to brown and all kinds of colors in between. I like them :).
Cheers

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got another female tonight while out smoking ciggarettes on break :). She is very interesting because she lacks the pattern on her back like most of them have. Shes very interesting :) Here she is....

And in the new enclosure...

And a better pic of one of the others that was hiding earlier!

Isnt there color range amazing :).
Cheers

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
God I love these little buggers. I just went to a herp show, picked up a 20g tall tank, And am slowely working on making it into a beautiful display piece, ATM its got a tupperware container for a water dish about 4" deep with some chill rocks to sit on, some spare branches sitting about making it lookkinda natural (same trees I found them near) and some Fish tank pebble stuff on the bottum (for drainage) going to be slowely adding moss, some more hides etc. of the next week. I still can not decide if I have a male or female, on is bright green like your new little girl, the other is grey and larger, so meh. who knows.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
God I love these little buggers. I just went to a herp show, picked up a 20g tall tank, And am slowely working on making it into a beautiful display piece, ATM its got a tupperware container for a water dish about 4" deep with some chill rocks to sit on, some spare branches sitting about making it lookkinda natural (same trees I found them near) and some Fish tank pebble stuff on the bottum (for drainage) going to be slowely adding moss, some more hides etc. of the next week. I still can not decide if I have a male or female, on is bright green like your new little girl, the other is grey and larger, so meh. who knows.
When i get a chance i will catch a male and female and take pics of the differences for comparison purposes. That should help :). They are quite different. The 2nd pic on this page shows the very dark throat of the male. The female is completely white with speckles.
Cheers

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The newly caught green one is the same color as the others now, only a lot lighter. Its a very young specimen and the throat colors are confusing at the moment compared to the others. It lacks the very dark throat, but is showing a little color. But it cannot be 100% ruled either way at the moment.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just noticed something interesting... they make noise at around the same time every morning. At about 8:00 am they start singing, very loudly. Its like my own alarm clock :)