mould in millies tank?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok - this has probably been asked before but im at work and havnt got the time to search stuff :(

Does mould in milliepedes tanks have bad effects on them - I noticed the other night that food remains had started to mould but when I picked it up to throw it out noticed that there was a whole load of baby millies living on and around it.

will this mouldy food harm the millies if I leave it in - the babies seem to like it.

Do any of you other millie keepers clean the tanks out - or do you just let stuff rot in there if it is uneaten?

cheers,

Stu.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I pick out the moldy food and brush the babies off....I cant see how it could be good for them. Maybe Im being too paranoid..dunno. Besides it makes the tank look gross ;P
Michelle

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay guys unless my millipedes are super special I think this is the deal. These are bugs, not us, they eat each others dung and dead friends and such. I let all food stay. The food looks good for a few days, they eat it heartlily, then it moulds, they leave it alone, them the mould dies off and they eat the rotten stuff with a passion. I believe they like it once the mould has had it's way with it and yes, it feeds the young this way too. I have never had a problem with this method for al least a year now and have many young.:D
Hope this helps.

Amurtigermaster

Arachnopeon
I have left the food in the cage and let it go and they love it. If you don't like looking at it make a ridge folowed by a depression in the tank so that the food is not visible looking head on. This works in my tanks so I hope it works for you.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the help,

yeah, im just gonna leave the food in there, the little baby millies seem to love it.

i was just a bit concerned that it may be harmful to the millies having mould in the tanks, but they seem to be doing fine and ive seen em munching on the stuff a few times.

the amount of baby millies in the tank seems to be increasing all the time - how many young do these things have at a time?

cheers,

Stu.