Molted...and died?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I woke up this morning to a surprise. River, my Aphonopelma sp. New River rust rump sling, was curled up at the bottom of its burrow. Upon closer inspection, I could see a molt next to it. I wasn't even expecting it to molt, its a teensy tiny sling and was very pale colored. It hadn't even started darkening whereas its bigger brother Cody (A. chalcodes) has. Alas, molted it did and only got a tiny bit bigger. But it looked all the world like it was in a death curl and not moving. I left it in its burrow, which was dark and humid, maybe it'll be ok when I get home from work. Hopefully...:(

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I woke up this morning to a surprise. River, my Aphonopelma sp. New River rust rump sling, was curled up at the bottom of its burrow. Upon closer inspection, I could see a molt next to it. I wasn't even expecting it to molt, its a teensy tiny sling and was very pale colored. It hadn't even started darkening whereas its bigger brother Cody (A. chalcodes) has. Alas, molted it did and only got a tiny bit bigger. But it looked all the world like it was in a death curl and not moving. I left it in its burrow, which was dark and humid, maybe it'll be ok when I get home from work. Hopefully...:(
They often lay like that just after they molt, so it might be fine.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks exo, I hope so! I've never had a sling this small and haven't seen that outta my other Ts, they've always been right side up and stretching almost immediately. It was laying like that for at least an hour while I was there.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah my versicolor just molted and it sat in a death curl like position for a while. I think they just conserve energy while the hemolymph circulates and their exo hardens up a bit.

But keep checking on it and if possible with out disturbing it too much, try to keep it a bit humid.

Good luck

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks exo, I hope so! I've never had a sling this small and haven't seen that outta my other Ts, they've always been right side up and stretching almost immediately. It was laying like that for at least an hour while I was there.
My B.smithi once layed like that for about 2 hours before she got upright, so it can apparently happen. Hopefully that's the case with your sling.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Yeah my versicolor just molted and it sat in a death curl like position for a while. I think they just conserve energy while the hemolymph circulates and their exo hardens up a bit.

But keep checking on it and if possible with out disturbing it too much, try to keep it a bit humid.

Good luck
Generally when avics molt and die it is due to low humidity in the cage or a dehydrated T. Don't know what is wrong with your T though Jeff. Hopefully it would most likely be OK later today.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Generally when avics molt and die it is due to low humidity in the cage or a dehydrated T. Don't know what is wrong with your T though Jeff. Hopefully it would most likely be OK later today.
My avic is doing fine, it was just in a death curl like position when it just finished molting. I have noticed it with another one of my Ts after it molts, that they do this sometimes.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
My avic is doing fine, it was just in a death curl like position when it just finished molting. I have noticed it with another one of my Ts after it molts, that they do this sometimes.
Ah, ok.

Just want to note, when a tarantula molts and its legs are curled up it is not called a death curl. This is one of the sequences of molting. After that, the exoskeleton will harden and the spider will stand up again. If the spider stands up on its legs, walks around a bit and then goes into a curl again, then I'd be worried.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, ok.

Just want to note, when a tarantula molts and its legs are curled up it is not called a death curl. This is one of the sequences of molting. After that, the exoskeleton will harden and the spider will stand up again. If the spider stands up on its legs, walks around a bit and then goes into a curl again, then I'd be worried.
yeah I agree that is why I said "death curl like" where the legs are kind of curled in under the body for a while after it molts. Then like I said before, after it had time to pump its "blood" around and the exo hardens up a bit, it will stand up and walk around.

I agree after it starts to walk around for a bit then goes back into a death curl position, it is not normal.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoohoo, River's ok! Here's a pic, it went from the size of a tiny mosquito to the size of a small mosquito :wall:

Chewin on the molt

Why do they have to be so nerve-wracking when they molt? Oh well, thats one down. I have a feeling a bunch of 'em will be going off all at once ;)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Glad River's ok :)

I just had my 2 vagans slings molt within a day of each other, and I was nervous watching them too.

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Reminds me of my Aphonopelma hentzi that is about a year old and still 1/4 ''.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks all :)

Reminds me of my Aphonopelma hentzi that is about a year old and still 1/4 ''.
Are you serious? Geez, its gonna be a long haul with 'em. We're hopefully soon outta the chilly temps so maybe it'll speed things up a bit. I'd like to see 'em at least to 3", then I don't mind if they stop growing (same with my pulchras)

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh well, thats one down. I have a feeling a bunch of 'em will be going off all at once ;)
Yep, #2 was this morning! Gabby, my GBB (clever name, huh :rolleyes:) molted. I'm so glad it did because its been worrying me, not eating, not webbing, not even moving much. Weirdly though, it isn't any bigger than it was. I thought these things were supposed to be fast growers :?

deConteville

Arachnopeon
I know the feeling. I posted a similar topic months ago which was also an unexpected molt. Each molt had been more nerve racking than the last, but thankfully I'm so used to it that I don't worry much anymore.