Missing legs after molt. Orthoporus Ornatus

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
One of my Giant Sonoran desert golds disappeared for 5 weeks and recently made an appearance alive and well after what I assume was a molt.
It's missing several sets of legs and has some nubs on its back end now.

Is this from a bad molt or something I've done?
Could it be I'm keeping the enclosure too damp for the species? I don't keep it as damp as my others but I'm always afraid to go more than a few days without adding moisture given I live in a desert climate myself.

Attachments

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Adult Orthoporus do not molt. Orthoporus do lose legs if they are kept too damp, but sometimes from just being old.

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
Good to know. Thanks. It's impossible to tell how old they are given they don't breed in captivity. I know the species can grow upwards of nine inches and this one is currently between six and seven inches. Wouldn't it be possible that it still has a molt left? I've only kept these for two months now. I bought four. One of them recently died. I found it on the surface lifeless. That one was fat and right around nine inches long.
There's one smaller, about 5 inches, and thinner than a pencil so I expect to see it grow. When I first got them all four were active on the surface then shortly after all but the smaller one disappeared. Right now, I have two active ones and the other is still nesting going on six weeks.

Last edited:

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
Adult Orthoporus do not molt. Orthoporus do lose legs if they are kept too damp, but sometimes from just being old.
I have Millipedes in Captivity by Orin McMonigle on a list to buy. Is Giant Millipedes: The Enthusiast's Handbook different? It's written by the same person but sells for half the price.
I'll probably end up buying both. Thank you.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I have Millipedes in Captivity by Orin McMonigle on a list to buy. Is Giant Millipedes: The Enthusiast's Handbook different? It's written by the same person but sells for half the price.
I'll probably end up buying both. Thank you.
The first is a larger hardcover from 2012, the second is small, stapled paperback from 2005.