Millipede molting time span and determining death?

Kreuzschmerzen

Arachnopeon
Heyo everyone,

I've recently started keeping Spirostreptus spec. 1, my first invertebrate pet (or any pet for that matter). Issue is, since getting them over 6 weeks ago, I have not seen them at all. Not on the surface, even at night, nor buried. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any new tunnels in the substrate either and they seem to not eat any of the food I put out, or at least no substantial amount of it. I have not dug for them as I'm aware that they could be molting, but I was wondering: I know the molting process can take several weeks, but can it take months? I'm worried my millipedes might simply be dead. I've heard that dead millipedes start to stink quickly, but the terrarium smells fine.

Its just three, which I keep in an 30x30x30 exoterra terrarium. Substrate (forest soil with rotting hardwood, dead leaves and springtails+isopods) is about 5-6 inches deep. I've followed the breeders care guide for the species in terms of temperature, moisture and feeding as closely as I can.

Does anyone have any idea if they could still be molting? Or is it pretty safe to assume they're dead? Is there any way to check or should I just wait?
Thank you,
Jonas

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Young millipedes spend a lot of time underground. You could put a slice of apple or cucumber (something white) on the soil before you go to bed and see if there are bites from it or frass on it and that would tell you they move around at night. I would not assume they are dead. They are super hardy and surface active as they get older. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Except the isopods! I would suggest removing them. I know a lot of people keep them together but I have seen damage to molting millipedes and eggs from isos. I doubt they would kill them but they definitely cause damage. Relax and don't dig. That's my best advice.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Actual molting doesn't take more than a few hours or days (in my experience) but they stay down much longer. I think when most people think they are down, they are actually coming up when you aren't looking. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Kreuzschmerzen

Arachnopeon
Actual molting doesn't take more than a few hours or days (in my experience) but they stay down much longer. I think when most people think they are down, they are actually coming up when you aren't looking. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
I didn't know about the isopods, I'll look into that!
Thank you for the quick reply!

ouroboross

Arachnosquire
Heyo everyone,

I've recently started keeping Spirostreptus spec. 1, my first invertebrate pet (or any pet for that matter). Issue is, since getting them over 6 weeks ago, I have not seen them at all. Not on the surface, even at night, nor buried. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any new tunnels in the substrate either and they seem to not eat any of the food I put out, or at least no substantial amount of it. I have not dug for them as I'm aware that they could be molting, but I was wondering: I know the molting process can take several weeks, but can it take months? I'm worried my millipedes might simply be dead. I've heard that dead millipedes start to stink quickly, but the terrarium smells fine.

Its just three, which I keep in an 30x30x30 exoterra terrarium. Substrate (forest soil with rotting hardwood, dead leaves and springtails+isopods) is about 5-6 inches deep. I've followed the breeders care guide for the species in terms of temperature, moisture and feeding as closely as I can.

Does anyone have any idea if they could still be molting? Or is it pretty safe to assume they're dead? Is there any way to check or should I just wait?
Thank you,
Jonas
ik im late but ive heard they are very reclusive, so you will rarely see them

hamfist

Arachnosquire
Also bear in mind when the temperatures dip below a certain level (different for each species) they can and will stay buried until it warms.