Marine Toads

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I guess they're also called Cane Toads.

Anyone have any experience with them? Good or bad? Would you recommend something else?

I'm wanting one of the bigger frog/toads, and Cane Toads are cheap and WILL get big. But that Pixie frog at Petco could possibly be a dwarf one that stays small.

Any problems with secretions?

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, I have a couple of bufo marine toads, and I think they are pretty easy to take care of. They like to burrow in the dirt and also get in a big water dish. I read where they can eventually learn their owners voice. Of course they don't seem to move around a lot during the day, but overall I think they make cool pets. Also as far as secretions they will urinate on you when you pick them up, and that is about all. Take care, Pam

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
By secretions, I meant more like the toxins -- I've read of people getting welts (and permanent scars in the process) from touching water the toad had been in if they failed to wash it off immediately.

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
one time I licked a cane toad and..... JUST KIDDING!!! :D

I have never had any reactions when handling them. Most of the time when I handle amphibians I wear latex gloves so nothing from my hands can permeate through their skin.I wouldn't buy any frog or toad from pet co. The way they are kept I think they run a high risk of bacterial septicemia. At the pet co closest to me they keep all the frogs and toads in the same enclosure. You can get a nice pyxie frog from a reptile show that will be in a lot better condition. Personally I think cane toads look a lot cooler.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only toxins you have to worry about are secreted from the two large glands behind the eyes called the parotoid glands. Generally, the toad must be severely traumatized for anything to actually come out. They way they work is a predator bites the toad, punctures the gland, and gets a mouth full of bufotoxin. I have HEARD that these toads are actually capable of squirting this toxin from the glands, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Although all true toads (Bufo) have these glands, B. murinus is one (if not THE) most toxic species. The people who deliberately try to ingest this stuff are stupid beyond comprehesion in my humble opinion. It has been known to kill dogs and put people into comas, not something to be toyed around with.

However, under normal terrarium conditions, it's not likley to be a problem.

Wade

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I actually read they could spray it on another site.

And it's the toxins from the glands behind the eyes that I was asking about.

I wasn't sure how often they used them.

Maybe I'll pick it up, then..