Mantis ID

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My friend and I caught three mantids last weekend and I was wondering if any of you can ID them. THey are only about 4" long. We caught them in Milpitas, California. They were found in long dry grass. They have a yellowish green color to them. Here are some pictures my friend took..

Last edited:

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like the European Mantis (Mantis religeosa Sp??) to me.

Tom

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How can it be a European mantis, when they were found here in California? Or is that just a common name they go by?

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely European (a common species in the states)
The dead give away is the eyespot in the armpit.

-Brad

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The species originates from Southern Europe.
According to my research they were introduced to the States
around 1899 ...arriving accidentally on plants in a nursery shipment.

-Brad

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The species originates from Southern Europe.
According to my research they were introduced to the States
around 1899 ...arriving accidentally on plants in a nursery shipment.

-Brad
Oh ok cool, well that makes sense. Thanks for the info and help!

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup, that's Mantis religiosa sp.

Most common is M. r. religiosa, in Poland we have M. r. polonica, there's also Mantis religiosa meridionalis... Dunno if any more. Nice find though. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup, that's Mantis religiosa sp.

Most common is M. r. religiosa, in Poland we have M. r. polonica, there's also Mantis religiosa meridionalis... Dunno if any more. Nice find though. :)
Awesome thanks for the confirmation. Yea where I found them at I would never suspect mantids leaving here. We found 3 of them all within a couple yards of each other. Also, how can you tell between genders?

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Paul,
You can differentiate the male form the female by looking at the antennae (did I spell it right?). The male's one are much more longer and thinner, while the female's ones tend to be very short in comparison. The female is also a lot bigger (You can see easily if you have a pair - the male will be the small one with the long antennae, and the female - big one with short antennae). There's is also a way to differentiate them by counting the tiles on their stomach (underside)... But can't remember how much the male has, and how much the female does... That's the only thing I could help. ;-)
Matthew.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Paul,
You can differentiate the male form the female by looking at the antennae (did I spell it right?). The male's one are much more longer and thinner, while the female's ones tend to be very short in comparison. The female is also a lot bigger (You can see easily if you have a pair - the male will be the small one with the long antennae, and the female - big one with short antennae). There's is also a way to differentiate them by counting the tiles on their stomach (underside)... But can't remember how much the male has, and how much the female does... That's the only thing I could help. ;-)
Matthew.
Thanks alot Matthew! I'll inform my friend and hopefully he'll be able to tell which is which since he's the one that kept them.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The sexing description given above was dead-on. :) Males also tend to be a bit more flighty in my experience. The one in the pictures looks male to me.

johnny888

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am not an expert with Mantids but based on my own experience, abdominal segments of more than five are usually males and females usually have five abdominal segments.Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am not an expert with Mantids but based on my own experience, abdominal segments of more than five are usually males and females usually have five abdominal segments.Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
You're Wrong!{D .... just kidding I have no clue what I'm talking about with mantids, so you could be right. Thanks for the help!