Mantid help pleaase

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So I found a mantid in my house today. He's about two inches long and a pretty green color.
I'm not so familiar with mantids, but I know this is a common species cause I use to see them all the time and was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of the species...

I caught it and want to keep it. So, what kind of cage should I put it in? Substrate, water, temp. ?

Thanks a bunch guys :)

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good chance it is a European since you're in OR. Are there 'eye spots' on the insides of its forelegs.

Tickle the underside of its butt with an artist's paint brush and it should throw a threat pose for you.

I keep mine in a 32 oz delicup with a strip of vinyl screen taped to the side and a mesh lid. Mist 2x week. Room temps.

So I found a mantid in my house today. He's about two inches long and a pretty green color.
I'm not so familiar with mantids, but I know this is a common species cause I use to see them all the time and was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of the species...

I caught it and want to keep it. So, what kind of cage should I put it in? Substrate, water, temp. ?

Thanks a bunch guys :)

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Awesome, thank you. I fed him a cricket, he ate that thing in like ten seconds I swear. And yeah he is the european species. :)

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
He did not want to cooperate in picture taking, so I just took a pic of him sittin on the lid.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Immature female European mantis, Mantis religiosa. Nice find. :)

As long as she's got the lid to hang from (a fake plant wouldn't hurt), a snack every couple of days, and some light misting, she should do fine.

I had two exotic species that had problems hanging from that type of lid during molts, though -- a tall branch or something that gives her plenty of room to hang from with a good grip should be fine.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks IHeartMantids :) I do have branches and leaves and things in there but she just always hangs on the lid.

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol, I was just gonna post a thread about an unkown green female mantis I found in gold beach oregon but I saw this thread, awesome! This is a very gorgeous species, I must say.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You guys are lucky! I grew up in eastern Oregon and found TONS of them every summer, but with high school and now college, I just don't have the time to go mantis hunting. :( It's a shame, too, because I started a mantis registry to try and get a feel for the timing of Mantis religiosa's life cycle.