Major Heating Problem Next Winter..

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oke, so I have begun my breeding project and I have already invested many hours of labour and sweat and blood in it. I have been successful [with the species I have found so far] and hope to continue so. But as the winter approaches I am feeling uncomfortable. Last winter was the coldest winter since 1954 (Or so they say) and it was -3C in my apartment with no electricity at times.

With sporadic power outages and poor insulation what do you suggest for heating? It seems they did fine in nature, so deeper substrate and a blanket over the terrariums? Is that enough air flow? I MAY be able to buy heating rocks and put them in or near the terrariums for when I do have power, but I wouln't want them to escape. *Sigh*

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A blanket can be a good way, but not for much time. If You have electricity a simple heater is perfect. If I were you I would buy a fireplace so in case of no electricity you can make your room warm. Or you can use: http://www.beairconditioning.co.uk/air_conditioning_vrv.htm
O, that's sounds good, however I can't afford it. I can't put a fireplace in my house either.. The blanket idea and a heater when I do have electricity may be necessary.