Leaving T over Christmas break

Muginson

Arachnopeon
I'm being shipped off back home from uni during the covid student travel week in the UK and it's looking unlikely that I'll be able to bring my T back with me. I'm going to be away for 3 weeks and was thinking of feeding my GBB up with a few roaches before I go and giving it a fresh water bowl. I'm hoping this will be fine as I know T's can often go months without food, but thought I'd gague some other opinions on this. Thoughts?

I've attached a pic of the little beauty.

Attachments

Transrights

Arachnosquire
How big is your T? If it's an adult female I'd say it should be fine, I've left mine for similar time periods. Slings however I'd be more careful, I probably wouldn't leave my small ones alone for more than a week max.

Muginson

Arachnopeon
How big is your T? If it's an adult female I'd say it should be fine, I've left mine for similar time periods. Slings however I'd be more careful, I probably wouldn't leave my small ones alone for more than a week max.
It's a juvenile with about 7-9 cm legspan.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
My spiders enjoy time without me - no human annoyance. Wet a corner, even if it's a gbb. Also 4 weeks should be no problem...

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While in theory, it should be ok - at least as far as food and water are concerned - there are other things to consider:

What about temperature? Will you be able to set the thermostat at a comfortable temperature and leave it, or (if it's student housing) will they turn off or significantly reduce heating over the holiday, while the dorms are empty? What if there's a power outage? I don't know if that's an issue where you are, but here in parts of the US, winter storms can knock out power for days at a time, leaving people (and their pets) cold and in the dark. Does it get cold enough where you are that that would be a serious problem if it happened?

Also, is there any risk of the dorms taking advantage of being empty to paint, fumigate, or do anything else that might hurt your spider?

What if the country decides they need to impose a covid lockdown, and you aren't able to get back to it after three weeks, as planned?

I'd try to take it with me or leave it with a trusted friend if at all possible.

Muginson

Arachnopeon
While in theory, it should be ok - at least as far as food and water are concerned - there are other things to consider:

What about temperature? Will you be able to set the thermostat at a comfortable temperature and leave it, or (if it's student housing) will they turn off or significantly reduce heating over the holiday, while the dorms are empty? What if there's a power outage? I don't know if that's an issue where you are, but here in parts of the US, winter storms can knock out power for days at a time, leaving people (and their pets) cold and in the dark. Does it get cold enough where you are that that would be a serious problem if it happened?

Also, is there any risk of the dorms taking advantage of being empty to paint, fumigate, or do anything else that might hurt your spider?

What if the country decides they need to impose a covid lockdown, and you aren't able to get back to it after three weeks, as planned?

I'd try to take it with me or leave it with a trusted friend if at all possible.
These are all great considerations, thank you - I'm doing my Master's degree so I live in a house rather than dorms, so as long as I pay my bills there will be heating!

In the UK, luckily I've only had a power outage twice in my entire life, and they've only lasted a couple of hours!

If they impose another lockdown it shouldn't effect me too much as I'll be driving back with my girlfriend instead of using public transport. Universities weren't affected by the last lockdown and my degree is entirely lab based, so our instructions have been to return as normal after the xmas break.

Sadly, there's no space to be able to take my T back with me, as much as I would love to. My trusted friends are the ones I live with but they'll be heading home for xmas too, other than that I'm new to the city so don't really know anyone well enough unfortunately!

I think my plan will be to feed the T up before I go, leave it with a fresh bowl of water, and keep my thermostat going. Thanks again for the reply.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
fill the water dish, maybe add a second. Toss in a couple crickets and say "check ya later"

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I’ve left my Ts for 5 weeks no food when I went to Asia. If you feed them the week before you leave and fill their water they should be fine. Can block off a lot of the ventilation if you want to make sure the water dish doesn’t evaporate

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
I left my Julie (10 cm) GBB for 2.5 months. Stuck somewhere during Lockdown and it was a bit thinner but fine. Ts are résilient

basin79

ArachnoGod
DEFINITELY DON'T leave any livefood in the enclosure. Feed up before you leave.

quirinus

Arachnoknight
put in one bigger water dish instead of a second... two evaporate at the same time like one..