Latrodectus hesperus incubation time

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a couple of WC L. hesperus that have laid eggsacs for us (each on the same day!). Unfortunately information on widows can be difficult to find, except for info on how to get rid of them, so we were wondering what the average time to hatching is with these guys, so we can be prepared.
Thanks
Mackenzie

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Mackenzie,
I would take the sac away asap, and put it in a baby-latro proof container. You don't want any getting out!
I never really paid attention to how long my sacs took to hatch, but I think it was like a few weeks.
Good luck!

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Mackenzie,
I would take the sac away asap, and put it in a baby-latro proof container. You don't want any getting out!
I never really paid attention to how long my sacs took to hatch, but I think it was like a few weeks.
Good luck!
We did this with the last one, but it moulded. We were told to leave it with the mother because she moves it as necessary. For artificial incubation, should we keep it dry?
Mackenzie

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We did this with the last one, but it moulded. We were told to leave it with the mother because she moves it as necessary. For artificial incubation, should we keep it dry?
Mackenzie
I artificially incubated all of mine, I dumped all the eggs into a deli cup with dry paper towels. But that's just what I did, it worked pretty well too.
You could leave it with the mother, but just keep an eye on it.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I artificially incubated all of mine, I dumped all the eggs into a deli cup with dry paper towels. But that's just what I did, it worked pretty well too.
I guess we will try that then. And if we screw up and the sac dies, we can wait two weeks for another one{D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
hatch time varies greatly with temperature. i've had them come out as soon as a little less than 3 weeks (with warm temps) all the way up until almost 8 weeks (with cold temps)! may as well leave it with mom. assuming your place is normal temps, it should hatch right around a month or so. i usually leave them with mom until they get really dark, then i will take them out. really dark gives you a few days before they start emerging.

if you have any other questions, throw em up!