Ladybug care guide

A cave cricket

Arachnoknight
Ladybug care guide!

How to catch: look for aphids, once you see aphids look for ladybugs if you see a ladybug just pick it up with your fingers. Then put it in a small temporary container. now you can set that aside, and work on the actual habitat!

Making the habitat: you will need: soil, a small stick going in different directions, a 32 oz jar, Moss or deer lichen, and leaves.

You want to fill the the jar with soil to about an 1in then, add a little bit of moss or deer lichen into the bottom, not to cover the whole bottom, then add the sticks then the leaves. And you're done!

Then add the ladybug and add the food.
Now go back to the place where you find the ladybug and go get some aphids. you can use a brush, to brush them into a container. they will also eat raisins occasionally.

Breeding and sexing: all you got to do is put more ladybugs in there, you can't really sex them, then you wait for eggs, that's what the leaves are for.

Once you have eggs you take out the leaf, and put the leaf in a separate container and wait for them to hatch.

Mist twice a week.

That was the care guide hope you all liked it!

A bit of info I missed.

Once the eggs hatch you release the larvae back were you got the ladybug!

Attachments

Last edited:

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Great info! Something I wouldn’t personally even think of keeping. Super cute.

For future threads, maybe name them with the species so people can find them easily? Just a suggestion. Keep it up :D

SunRoseSpider

Arachnosquire
Aww I found one today on some daisies! They are so cute :happy:

ladybird.jpg

I believe their family name is Coccinellidae, but the one I have a picture of is Coccinella septempunctata (7 spotted ladybird). These ones are everywhere in English gardens, super easy to find!

Last edited:

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Nice bit of info, can't wait to see what you come up with next. Your enthusiasm is noted and appreciated, it's important that people are passionate about the ones thought to be unconventional.
I personally wouldn't bother keeping these in captivity, since they're much more useful in the outdoors being that their main purpose in life is pollination and pest control. Keeping them might help us better understand them but I would worry that preventing them from doing what they're meant to do might shorten their life span. If you got them to breed and then released them to do what they do though, that could be pretty beneficial!

SunRoseSpider

Arachnosquire
I personally wouldn't bother keeping these in captivity, since they're much more useful in the outdoors being that their main purpose in life is pollination and pest control.
Yes! Agree with this. Also it's nice to go out into a garden and see all the native bugs on flowers and such :happy:

CanebrakeRattlesnake

Arachnosquire
I reckon with the small amount of people who would be wanting to keep them in captivity, it wouldn't effect the population too much, especially if you were releasing extras that you bred back into the wild where you found the parents.

A cave cricket

Arachnoknight
I reckon with the small amount of people who would be wanting to keep them in captivity, it wouldn't effect the population too much, especially if you were releasing extras that you bred back into the wild where you found the parents.
Actually it would I've tried it myself, you see ladybugs can lay anywhere to 6 to 200 eggs, in my case with the babies when I release them most of them survived it was a batch of 14, 12 survived.

SunRoseSpider

Arachnosquire
Actually it would I've tried it myself, you see ladybugs can lay anywhere to 6 to 200 eggs, in my case with the babies when I release them most of them survived it was a batch of 14, 12 survived.
That's quite a large range! Is a low survival rate common with them?

SunRoseSpider

Arachnosquire
No I mean, often when something lays up to large amount like 200 eggs it's due to a survival rate being low so they can guarantee offspring, usually as part of an organism's evolutionary adaptations. Is that the case with ladybirds?

Last edited: