L parahybana alternatives

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone,

I am preparing for my next expo, and I was wondering what y'all would recommend as an alternative to the l parahybana. I love its growth and all the great traits about it, but I don't like its tendency to kick hairs all over the enclosure and get close to 11" DLS. What species are fairly similar to l parahybana without the hair kicking and size?

Thanks everyone!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hello everyone,

I am preparing for my next expo, and I was wondering what y'all would recommend as an alternative to the l parahybana. I love its growth and all the great traits about it, but I don't like its tendency to kick hairs all over the enclosure and get close to 11" DLS. What species are fairly similar to l parahybana without the hair kicking and size?

Thanks everyone!
your closer to describing t stirmi my biggest lp is 7” and biggest one I’ve seen picture proof of was 9.2”.
All of the new world alternatives also kick hairs , I’d suggest Asian fawn tarantula type species Chilobrachys , or the horned baboons . My lasiodora generally only kick hairs when being rehoused and they generally run away to there hide . Although some are bolder and more kicking . Won’t move as easily . It’s more about individual temperament.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone!
Just get the parahybana. Individual tarantulas will have their own behaviors. Whatever species you get, there's always the chance to get the opposite of what you expect and read about them.

cold blood

Staff member
I was wondering what y'all would recommend as an alternative to the l parahybana
literally anything...the LP is the most boring looking of all the larger NW terrestrials.
and get close to 11" DLS
They don't get that big...lol....males can mature in the 5-6" range, females are generally in the 7" range with bigguns being 8"...literally no different than dozens if not hundreds of NW terrestrials
What species are fairly similar to l parahybana without the hair kicking and size?
Hair kicking is relative...Pamphs have never flicked for me, but i have heard of others having flicky ones....Most of my Nhandu aren't flicky aside from coloratovillsus as a juvie, but others have flicky ones.

A genic is a great bet, I have never had a flicky one.....Phormictipus is another good genus, none of mine are flicky, but they can be very defensive.

A GBB might be a good one, too.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
You're more likely to be struck by lightning than get an 11" LP. A really big female might reach 9ish.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
What specifically about the LP do you like? That would help clarify what you enjoy and are looking for.

Spinnenfritzi

Arachnopeon
literally anything...the LP is the most boring looking of all the larger NW terrestrials.
for me a spider can be enjoyed looking like a spider. Not every thing needs to be a flamingo.

What species are fairly similar to l parahybana without the hair kicking and size?
As the size problem is inacurate and the hair kicking allready relativized ...why not do the crazy thing and stick with the LP?

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone!
A Pampho, a Nhandu, Vitalius Chromatus or A Genic. They’re all FANTASTIC IME

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Have you considered Old World Tarantulas ? ( No Urticating Hair )
Or... New World... Psalmopoeus.

Last edited:

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
If you're rich, get a Pamphobeteus sp. "Arana Pollito" or a P. Antinous. True giants that are way easier to keep than a T Blondi or T Stirmi. I don't own them, but hope to someday if i can justify the cost. A Geniculata's or a P Mascara would be my 2nd vote. Also, about the hair flicking. Just wear gloves, and safety goggles if absolutely necessary. Don't put your nose to the cage lol

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
If you don't already have an Acanthoscurria geniculata (all hail!), get one. Mine doesn't kick but don't take that as a general feature of the species. However, an adult female genic will be quite a massive spider. What species do you have at the moment? I remember a discussion about dwarf Ts, how about more of these?
True giants that are way easier to keep than a T Blondi or T Stirmi.
The OP explicitly stated that they don't want anything as large as LP.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
If you don't already have an Acanthoscurria geniculata (all hail!), get one. Mine doesn't kick but don't take that as a general feature of the species. However, an adult female genic will be quite a massive spider. What species do you have at the moment? I remember a discussion about dwarf Ts, how about more of these?

I explicitly apologize OP

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
your closer to describing t stirmi my biggest lp is 7” and biggest one I’ve seen picture proof of was 9.2”.
All of the new world alternatives also kick hairs , I’d suggest Asian fawn tarantula type species Chilobrachys , or the horned baboons . My lasiodora generally only kick hairs when being rehoused and they generally run away to there hide . Although some are bolder and more kicking . Won’t move as easily . It’s more about individual temperament.
I don't think recommending OWs is a good idea.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire

They dont get that big...lol....males can mature in the 5-6" range, females are generally in the 7" range with bigguns being 8"...literally no different than dozens if not hundreds of NW terrestrials

Hair kicking is relative...Pamphs have never flicked for me, but ia have heard of others haveing flicky ones....Most of my Nhandu aren't flicky aside from coloratovillsus as a juvie, but others have flicky ones.

A genic is a great bet, I have never had a flicky one.....Phormictipus is another good genus, none of mine are flicky, but they can be very defensive.

When I said hair kicking, I meant that I had heard that they like to kick hairs into their webbing and other parts of the enclosure, which would make enclosure maintenance a bit more difficult, although I don't really use my hands for stuff like that.

I explicitly apologize OP
You're good lol.

G pulchripes
I have a sling right now, and I love it.

What species do you have at the moment? I remember a discussion about dwarf Ts, how about more of these?

I was just under the impression that they get huge, but if that's not really the case, then I could just get one. I was really just looking to expand my collection, and these are usually fairly affordable, but after seeing what some people had to say I was worried they might be like the iguanas of the t hobby (cheap but become a big deal when they get older).

They dont get that big...lol....males can mature in the 5-6" range, females are generally in the 7" range with bigguns being 8"...literally no different than dozens if not hundreds of NW terrestrials

Hair kicking is relative...Pamphs have never flicked for me, but ia have heard of others haveing flicky ones....Most of my Nhandu aren't flicky aside from coloratovillsus as a juvie, but others have flicky ones.

You're more likely to be struck by lightning than get an 11" LP. A really big female might reach 9ish.
I guess my info was bad, I thought they got much bigger. Thanks for the clarification.

A Pampho, a Nhandu, Vitalius Chromatus or A Genic. They’re all FANTASTIC IME
If you're rich, get a Pamphobeteus sp. "Arana Pollito" or a P. Antinous. True giants that are way easier to keep than a T Blondi or T Stirmi. I don't own them, but hope to someday if i can justify the cost. A Geniculata's or a P Mascara would be my 2nd vote. Also, about the hair flicking. Just wear gloves, and safety goggles if absolutely necessary. Don't put your nose to the cage lol
Thanks everyone for the species suggestions, I think the LP is not what I thought it was, so I might as well get one now, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for the others too (the Pamphobeteus are so nice but I don't think I can afford one :bigtears:)

cold blood

Staff member
When I said hair kicking, I meant that I had heard that they like to kick hairs into their webbing and other parts of the enclosure, which would make enclosure maintenance a bit more difficult, although I don't really use my hands for stuff like that.
All tarantulas with urticating hairs do this, its one of the primary uses for those hairs, you will never find a single t with urticating hairs that doesnt do this.

As for maintenance, it has absolutely no effect on cage maintenance whatsoever....this is done by simply picking out a bolus or dead prey item here and there and that should be done with a tweezers anyway (as you eluded to). Ts arent inherently dirty aimals, they dont need full scale changes made, substrate doesnt just go bad so it never needs to be changed under any normal circumstances....heck I have a rose hair thats on the same sub I put in there in 1998.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone!
Hysterocrates are quite great and while maybe not as visible as Lasiodora , I think is a great and maybe better alternative!

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Another one I just now thought of is Lasiodorides striatus. Not quite as large or as fast growing as an LP. Mine is great