Keeping crayfish alive.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was out today looking for a rock for my pet frog and stumbled upon a rusty crayfish. I understand they're problematic and took it home. However, right now I don't have any aeration for the little guy so I know it's best not to put it in water until I get a pump. Right now he's in a tupperware with some holes in the lid and damp paper towels. Any tips on keeping him alive until a pump is acquired?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was out today looking for a rock for my pet frog and stumbled upon a rusty crayfish. I understand they're problematic and took it home. However, right now I don't have any aeration for the little guy so I know it's best not to put it in water until I get a pump. Right now he's in a tupperware with some holes in the lid and damp paper towels. Any tips on keeping him alive until a pump is acquired?
When I kept mine years ago, I set them up like tropical fish and fed them fish flake food. My oldest one lasted 3 years on that exact setup. I'm not an expert on this but, it has worked for me.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I kept mine years ago, I set them up like tropical fish and fed them fish flake food. My oldest one lasted 3 years on that exact setup. I'm not an expert on this but, it has worked for me.
Dude we're talking keeping them alive out of water for the time being...

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, ok. I misunderstood the question.
clearly lol! just kidding. i do have a question about introducing them to an aquarium setting though. Do i just introduce them like i do fish? letting them sit in a container in the water for a few hours so they can adjust? Or can they just be dumped in?

And as for keeping them alive until a tank is ready, I hear keeping them in a ventilated container in a fridge works, but I don't want to accidentally kill the guy!

pewarchuk

Arachnopeon
if you dont have the natural water to acclimatize them with, you might just have to dump it in, but u might want to get some other ideas first

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you dont have the natural water to acclimatize them with, you might just have to dump it in, but u might want to get some other ideas first
I have easy access to the natural water I found him in(well unnatrual...he's one of those rusty crayfish!).

And I decided he will be fine in standing water for a day. I've kept 'em in standing water for a few days before...I just forgot about it until recently lol!

pewarchuk

Arachnopeon
another thing, if you have any live aquatic plants, that will help get the water more pure and give it a bit more oxygen

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another thing, if you have any live aquatic plants, that will help get the water more pure and give it a bit more oxygen
I just kept it in a tupperware overnight with water from the pond i found it in. doing well today. i got a medium sized KK and airpump and airstone to oxygenate the water.

Do I need substrate for this guy? I've often seen them in bare enclosures with hiding spots...I want to make the tank look nice but I also have to move later this week.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just kept it in a tupperware overnight with water from the pond i found it in. doing well today. i got a medium sized KK and airpump and airstone to oxygenate the water.

Do I need substrate for this guy? I've often seen them in bare enclosures with hiding spots...I want to make the tank look nice but I also have to move later this week.
An unheated tank with a filter, an inch of gravel and a cave of some kind will work fine. I fed the ones I had fish flake and pieces of shrimp and chicken. I have no idea what a "Rusty crayfish" is though. :?

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a Friend that kept one,. he had a small hide normal pea gravel rocks with Filter, he also kept a small bass in there with him. Why the bass did not eat the crawfish is beyond me but,. he would just feed his nightcralwers., it would also scavenge what the bass did not what to eat and keep the tank clean.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An unheated tank with a filter, an inch of gravel and a cave of some kind will work fine. I fed the ones I had fish flake and pieces of shrimp and chicken. I have no idea what a "Rusty crayfish" is though. :?
I put in about 3/4" of gravel from the lake it was found in. I put some branches in there and leaves to make it look more natural.

Rusty crayfish are a species from the midwest that has worked its way around the US and has become an invasive species. They have established themselves in my campus's lake and are overtaking the native crays there. initially caught this one just to get a good look at it(at first I only saw it's "tail") aand noticed it had very large claws for a crayfish. I decided to take it back to my room to ID it and sure enough, it's a rusty. So instead of allowing it to grow and wreak havoc in my favorite fishing hole, I decided to keep him.

Here's a picture of one:

Those rusty spots on the carapace(can't miss 'em) and the colored claw tips are key indicators in identifying this species, as well as those monstrous claws.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
clearly lol! just kidding. i do have a question about introducing them to an aquarium setting though. Do i just introduce them like i do fish? letting them sit in a container in the water for a few hours so they can adjust? Or can they just be dumped in?

And as for keeping them alive until a tank is ready, I hear keeping them in a ventilated container in a fridge works, but I don't want to accidentally kill the guy!
Letting them adjust (Like fish) is the safest method due to the temperature change of the water they where found in and the water they are being introduced in.

When I got mine I just dumped it in but, it almost died so, that was rookie mistake but, it quickly recovered and began feeding the next day.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The dirt in the water hasn't settled down yet. Should I wait for it to settle before adding the crayfish?

Who am I kidding? These guys love murky water! He's in a bag in the tank getting adjusted to the temperature. i think that's all that is needed since the water he's in and the water in the tank are from the same lake

Last edited:

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I moved him in! I'm just wondering if an aluminum can(cleaned out of course!) would be a decent hide or not?

pewarchuk

Arachnopeon
i dont know if a aluminum can would be good, but terracotta flowerpots i think are a nicer looking and non-toxic