Keepig Argiope in captivity?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A coworker who recently wrangled some Latrodectus for me is now asking if i'd like him to catch a "Garden Spider" for him. I'm fairly sure he's talking about an Argiope.

I've tried a couple of times to keep WC orb weavers in captivity with pretty poor results. I couldn't get her to eat and she ended up shriveling up and dying on me :(

So if anybody has some ideas on how best to keep her inside I may give it a go. These gals are just so beautiful, I'd be pretty bummed if I ended up killing her.

edit: Aaargh... I hate when I can't fix spelling mistakes in the subject line!

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've kept Nephila clavipes and Argiope aurantia both at work and home.

both spp. assimilate better when introduced as slings. IME wc adult Argiope do not do well in captivity, it seems that get confused and die.

For both spp. a 6 foot potted ficus tree was used and a uv florescent fixture was set above the tree. Humidity is very important so i misted in the AM and PM. A small fan was used to create a breeze occasionally every couple days. I know that sounds over the top but I wanted to simulate the outside environment. They were fed crickets and moths but I do not know the moth spp.. The moths were caught under a outside light.
This set up was free standing in my bug room.

The Argiope adapted fairly well, webbed real nice complete with
stabilamentum. I had one egg sac and two die before laying an egg sac.

A mesh mantid display "cage' was used for some Argiopes at work but they did not do well and died as juvies. But this was because people that had no interest did not cover well on days off.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmmm, maybe I should just relocate her to my yard...