Just got my new scorps

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I got my 2 desert hairys today and planned on putting them both in a 10 gallon. One of them is twice the size of the other. I put them both in the tank and they didnt fight but the little one did go hide under a rock within 15 minutes of being in there. Should I worry about the big one killing the little one? I have plenty of crickets in there to eat so food shouldnt be an issue for them to fight over. Do I have much to worry about?

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
prang11 said:
Well I got my 2 desert hairys today and planned on putting them both in a 10 gallon. One of them is twice the size of the other. I put them both in the tank and they didnt fight but the little one did go hide under a rock within 15 minutes of being in there. Should I worry about the big one killing the little one? I have plenty of crickets in there to eat so food shouldnt be an issue for them to fight over. Do I have much to worry about?
Yes you have something to worry about, while they may happily live together especially if you feed them well and give them lots of space, theres a good chance one will eat the other. This risk is increased if one is larger then the other (especially since the smaller one may moult at which stage it will be exceedingly vunerable) since cannablism is often dictated by a risk assement and the big one may well be willing to attack the smaller one for a good meal if its too small to defend itself. If they are a male/female pair then the chance of happy coexistence is increased (male/male pairs are in my opinion especially unsafe).

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, I should probably place the small one in tupperware till it gets a bit larger? Wish they would have been the same size. I didnt plan to seperate them. Is there any chance that the little one will make it or is it basically a sure thing that the large one will eat it before it has a chance to grow?

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
prang11 said:
So, I should probably place the small one in tupperware till it gets a bit larger? Wish they would have been the same size. I didnt plan to seperate them. Is there any chance that the little one will make it or is it basically a sure thing that the large one will eat it before it has a chance to grow?
Its not all a sure thing, but you would cetainly be running a risk. The extent of that risk is tough to quantify, but by comparison with other scorpion species, this is not a sociable one. It's a personal decision you have to make as to whether to run the risk, waiting till they are both mature (if the small one is indeed sub-adult) would certainly improve the situation.

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hate making decisions. To many options.

You said that desert hairys are not social? Everywhere I have read said that they were communal scorps. Hopefully im not mistaken.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Opinions differ, but as far as I'm aware the general consensus is that this is not a social species, certainly in the wild they are naturally cannabalistic, use the search fucntion to investigate.

demolitionlover

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah you should def think about seperating them. I for one would not put 2 desert hairys together...but that is because I do not like taking ANY risks.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
prang11 said:
You said that desert hairys are not social? Everywhere I have read said that they were communal scorps. Hopefully im not mistaken.
and where was this? Seems like most everything I've read about them has said the opposite lol...maybe you found some sites that I haven't seen.

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I grabbed the little one and put it in a small bin. It is ok for now.