Jumping spider won’t eat

zomby19

Arachnopeon
I don’t know how old he is, I got him April 5th from a shop next to my piercing store. But since I got him he literally will not eat n I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried fruit flies but he’ll just let them die, mealworms even cut up. Crickets even cut up. And literally the OBLY thing he will eat is… watermelon… he doesn’t show signs of molting at least from what it seems. He’s always active and out and about. He drinks water. But his abdomen is shrinking and I’ve just tried to leave a fly in his enclosure to see if maybe he’d want that. Is there anything else I should try? I’m scared he’s dying, when I got him he had a crushed arm and the shop didn’t know anything about him. Is watermelon fine to keep offering? I haven’t found much but know that it’s good to offer for hydration.

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Are you sure it's a male? Mature male (MM) jumping spiders don't eat very much. And what species was it sold as?
A picture of the animal/enclosure would help.

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Are you sure it's a male? Mature male (MM) jumping spiders don't eat very much. And what species was it sold as?
A picture of the animal/enclosure would help.
They posted about this jumper a couple weeks ago and that thread has pics of him and the enclosure:
He looks pretty male to me although I don't know if he's mature.

I don’t know how old he is, I got him April 5th from a shop next to my piercing store. But since I got him he literally will not eat n I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried fruit flies but he’ll just let them die, mealworms even cut up. Crickets even cut up. And literally the OBLY thing he will eat is… watermelon… he doesn’t show signs of molting at least from what it seems. He’s always active and out and about. He drinks water. But his abdomen is shrinking and I’ve just tried to leave a fly in his enclosure to see if maybe he’d want that. Is there anything else I should try? I’m scared he’s dying, when I got him he had a crushed arm and the shop didn’t know anything about him. Is watermelon fine to keep offering? I haven’t found much but know that it’s good to offer for hydration.
Sorry to hear he still isn't eating ☹. Fruit and honey water can be a good way to keep them hydrated but don't contain the nutrients that they would get from insects. You could always try squeezing out all the insides of a mealworm and putting that on a qtip and put that in his face and see if he goes for it....
If he is mature he is mature then what gzofia is true. Mature males will eat less and less over time.

gzophia

Arachnoknight
They posted about this jumper a couple weeks ago and that thread has pics of him and the enclosure:
He looks pretty male to me although I don't know if he's mature.

Sorry to hear he still isn't eating ☹. Fruit and honey water can be a good way to keep them hydrated but don't contain the nutrients that they would get from insects. You could always try squeezing out all the insides of a mealworm and putting that on a qtip and put that in his face and see if he goes for it....
If he is mature he is mature then what gzofia is true. Mature males will eat less and less over time.
Thank you; I should have checked previous posts. I forgot to do so this time for some reason.

Yes, as @goofyGoober99 said, you can always try and feed a "mash" if the more liquid form appeals more. But if it is a mature male, its goal will be to breed, not to feed, and it will not eat as much. We don't know how old it is either. I wish you and your little buddy the best; hopefully the mash works.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Even if this spood is a female once they get older they will stop eating. I lost one of my jumping spiders last week a very old female called Button phidippus regius, I had her 3 years all together got her as a tiny 2mm sling but about 5 months ago she moulted and refused to eat after became extremely lethargic, it didn't matter what I offered she said no mash honey water pollin nothing she would drink water off the side occasionally but that was it , 2 weeks ago she took a mealworm and hammered it she also took one of her favourite snacks the beetle off the mealworms. I knew she was an old girl but after she ate I was hopeful. She refused food again after those and a week later she had passed away.
Some females are just as stubborn as the males when eating once they are old. I did get a sac off my girl too a year ago so I know she was a she plus 3 years to nearly the day no male jumper would go that long.
But I digress the point being regardless of gender some jumpers once old just don't eat. It is very sad but at least your little one got to live out their life somewhere quiet where they were loved, not in a shop on a shelf frightened. Your doing a great thing for that little spood and honestly couldn't do more then you already are. I hope things pic up for both of yous .