jumping spider has babies- help

ethwb

Arachnopeon
I have a regal jumping spider named Cora. I've only had her for about two months but about a month ago she laid eggs for the first time. Because I haven't had her for long I didn't know if they were fertilized. Now I think I do.
PXL_20240208_162339315.jpg
I woke up to this today which to me looks like the eggs have hatched. There isn't any movement inside yet.

I don't know what to do at all. I live in a dorm room at college and I am not equipped to deal with hundreds of babies. I didn't want to take the eggs away from her because I had read that it could stress her out but now I'm totally stuck. How do I get these babies out? Will I have to just risk stressing her by pushing her out of the nest and taking them? I unfortunately will have to kill them (plan to put them in the freezer if I can get them out) which I really don't want to do but I had just been in denial hoping they were infertile up to this point.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have a regal jumping spider named Cora. I've only had her for about two months but about a month ago she laid eggs for the first time. Because I haven't had her for long I didn't know if they were fertilized. Now I think I do.
View attachment 466627
I woke up to this today which to me looks like the eggs have hatched. There isn't any movement inside yet.

I don't know what to do at all. I live in a dorm room at college and I am not equipped to deal with hundreds of babies. I didn't want to take the eggs away from her because I had read that it could stress her out but now I'm totally stuck. How do I get these babies out? Will I have to just risk stressing her by pushing her out of the nest and taking them? I unfortunately will have to kill them (plan to put them in the freezer if I can get them out) which I really don't want to do but I had just been in denial hoping they were infertile up to this point.
You could give them away for free on the classified if anyone wants them. Is it warm enough outside for them to survive?

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Raising up that many babies to give away or sell is still a lot of work. Most people won't want them till they're 4 or 5 instar.

You could just leave them all in there and let them feed off each other till there is a manageable amount left. Then decide what to do. Just mist the enclosure every so often but dont feed them.