Jet black Asian Tarantulas

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
I've been looking at a few. C sp Kaeng Krachan. C Minax. H. Doraie. None of them seem to be completely G Pulchra like black. I'd love to see something this colour as I'm thinking of putting it on my next order with some Chilobrachys species.

Thankyou

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
I should have said Terrestrial/Fossorial aswell but they are stunners just Arboreal. I think the only Arboreal I want to keep is my Hati Hati it's so reclusive, although I saw it before behind the vertical cork bark when I took her enclosure off the shelf to do maintenance.

So terrestrial/Fossorial wise? I know C minax never always goes jet black.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
P Arboricola. Just get another arboreal lol I'm actually considering picking up a sling. They are a beautiful sp. And Jet black similar to a Pulchra

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Not an ow but big n black. Sericopelma sp Darien a large nw terrestrial that get darker as they get larger my girl was 7.1 inches dls on her last moult and is completely black, she makes pulchra look charcoal gray. Worth getting if you can find 1.

Pics of Daliah my Sericopelma sp Darien af that don't really do her justice but better then non. 20240505_052551.jpg 20240505_052609.jpg
She's probably pushing 7 n a half inch dls atm but I was told they can hit 8 n a half dls.
I will say too my girl is bold too, she often sits in her burrow entrance or sits up front next to her dish and doesn't bolt or kick she doesn't care in the slightest I am there but I know she can boogie when she wants, I have seen her chance food 😆 As I said worth it if you find one imo.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I've been looking at a few. C sp Kaeng Krachan. C Minax. H. Doraie. None of them seem to be completely G Pulchra like black. I'd love to see something this colour as I'm thinking of putting it on my next order with some Chilobrachys species.

Thankyou
You are shopping for tarantulas like I shop for clothes. The blacks just never seem to be black enough for me.

As far as solid black Asian terrestrial species are concerned, if species such as Cyriopagopus minax, C. longipes, or C. vonwirthi are not black enough then you might be out of luck. Not even what is typically sold as Grammostola pulchra are always jet black throughout their entire lives.

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
Not an ow but big n black. Sericopelma sp Darien a large nw terrestrial that get darker as they get larger my girl was 7.1 inches dls on her last moult and is completely black, she makes pulchra look charcoal gray. Worth getting if you can find 1.

Pics of Daliah my Sericopelma sp Darien af that don't really do her justice but better then non. View attachment 475216 View attachment 475217
She's probably pushing 7 n a half inch dls atm but I was told they can hit 8 n a half dls.
I will say too my girl is bold too, she often sits in her burrow entrance or sits up front next to her dish and doesn't bolt or kick she doesn't care in the slightest I am there but I know she can boogie when she wants, I have seen her chance food 😆 As I said worth it if you find one imo.
Yeah they are beautiful. I do like Sericopelma Santa Catalina too but not too many about. This is one new world genus I'd consider.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Yeah they are beautiful. I do like Sericopelma Santa Catalina too but not too many about. This is one new world genus I'd consider.
I have a few ,
Santa catalina saf
Sp Darien af
Sp Bouquete saf
Sp Azuero juvenile female

Next week I shall be receiving a generala juvenile female my SO picked up for me too. I can't resist them 😆
My santa catalina was my first sericopelma and now I get every one I find they are mind blowingly beautiful and big lol. If you find any snap them up 😊

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
I have S generalum /generala (has some red hairs, browns closer to molt like most black Ts) - probably my fastest growing T. She went from 2" to almost 7" in less than a year. I was told she was an evil threat poser, in her 3" by 3" enclosure. She's like Charliemum's sp Darien now that she has space to go. She dug two 8" deep burrows while I was on a 24 hour shift 🤣🤣🤣.

and sp. Darien who I hope aspires to chill out a little 🤣 she's not growing as fast as the former but she's a stunner, even though she took her pink socks from me, that wench!!!! 😍

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
I have a few ,
Santa catalina saf
Sp Darien af
Sp Bouquete saf
Sp Azuero juvenile female

Next week I shall be receiving a generala juvenile female my SO picked up for me too. I can't resist them 😆
My santa catalina was my first sericopelma and now I get every one I find they are mind blowingly beautiful and big lol. If you find any snap them up 😊
We all love a T that not too many people have aswell don't we I think, people have them but they're not as common as others in the hobby, they're big and they're beautiful. Hopefully they're good eaters too. If I can find one for I think I'm gonna go for one. You may just have convinced me to go new world I may see if there are mixed boxes of beginner and advanced available anywhere.

Thankyou.

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
We all love a T that not too many people have aswell don't we I think, people have them but they're not as common as others in the hobby, they're big and they're beautiful. Hopefully they're good eaters too. If I can find one for I think I'm gonna go for one. You may just have convinced me to go new world I may see if there are mixed boxes of beginner and advanced available anywhere.

Thankyou.
If it whets your appetite any more, I've read exactly once that their venom is supposed to be one of the worst in the New World Order 🤣

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
If it whets your appetite any more, I've read exactly once that their venom is supposed to be one of the worst in the New World Order 🤣
Haha no venom isn't what makes me want them more haha but venom aside they're stunning Ts. I'd have honestly thought that things like Psalmopeus and Tappies have the worst, not sure with Neoholothele as they're so small but they don't flick hair, I've read that they're very fast though and that may be their Go To defence. I was advised against a Psalmopeus and told even though Pokeys are fast too, they tend to be more relaxed, Psalmopeus you can end up with them on your ceiling really quickly haha but my Hati Hati hasn't tried that too much and I know they're quick. I do think Cambridgei are stunning as commonly kept as they are. And apparently you see them out more than the rest too. Pulcher is another stunning Psalmopeus species.

fcat

Arachnolord
Arachnosupporter
Haha no venom isn't what makes me want them more haha but venom aside they're stunning Ts. I'd have honestly thought that things like Psalmopeus and Tappies have the worst, not sure with Neoholothele as they're so small but they don't flick hair, I've read that they're very fast though and that may be their Go To defence. I was advised against a Psalmopeus and told even though Pokeys are fast too, they tend to be more relaxed, Psalmopeus you can end up with them on your ceiling really quickly haha but my Hati Hati hasn't tried that too much and I know they're quick. I do think Cambridgei are stunning as commonly kept as they are. And apparently you see them out more than the rest too. Pulcher is another stunning Psalmopeus species.
Every specimen is different, but all my psalmos are quick to retreat. IMO, it has everything to do with their enclosure, having places to hide, and those hides not being death traps/dead ends. Space, cover, anchor points away from the door.

I am quite deliberate to announce my presence before I open any doors, and I can deliver every meal without doing so by drilling feeder holes, same with topping off water dishes. I never tong feed. By minimizing external stressors, mine are out ALL the time with the exception of two: my P ecclesiasticus and my largest P. Cambridgei female, they only come out a night. I've got one chill P metallica that I'm convinced is trying to trick me into complacency so she can suck my soul out of me, my smaller one was that way too until this last molt. Now when I water the neighbor it runs laps, so I'm now reevaluating my set up. Either it doesn't feel safe or everyone is different :)

It would make logical sense that a T with no UrS would have more potent venom. From what I have read on the bite reports, a psalmo should feel like a a red hot, twisting knife IIRC. I read those before getting my first psalmo, which was my 22nd tarantula. Back then I had vowed to never keep an old world, mostly because of the risk to my cats. Then I realized the risks would be negated if I treated them like my psalmos, who I treat like most everyone else.. I also do most of my rehouses with both enclosures contained in a large clear bag, so I can do all the directing at my Ts pace with no risk of contact.

My first tarantula was a C versicolor. My second was a Pamphobeteus machala. You think if I would've come here asking what a good first t might be, that anyone might suggest those (maybe the C versicolor, but they can be delicate and easy for a noob to Google a bad care sheet)? I just decided to do my research before hand and not make an example out of myself.

My rule of thumb when it comes to keeping any species, is to never get anything that I would be afraid to save it's life.

Edit: I would like to especially caution you or anyone regarding my previous Lampropelma suggestion
... from what I've read about them.... They get big and nasty. DEFINITELY start with a psalmo first :)

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I too have a preference for solid black T's. Unfortunately there's not a plethora of them.

To this day I still do not have any. I do not consider my P. irminia to qualify but the orange and black is stunning.

I keep a limited collection and keep myself in check or I would be buried in T's. It's not easy by any means.

S. Santa Catalina is a very stunning T. It's been on my most wanted list for years and yet I still do not have one. This is due to keeping myself in check. My wanted list is more like a book.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You’re absolutely positive you don’t want arboreals?
IMG_3506.jpeg
(P. arboricola)

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
That's a stunner but I just find Arboreals are even more reclusive than Fossorials. My C sp. Hati Hati female, just burrows right down to the bottom behind the vertical cork bark... So much for her being arboreal haha.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Not Asian, but Pamphobeteus sp arana polito are velvety black (in th main) and unlike many other pqmpho, they stay black
Here is my SAF
20240512_091659.jpg

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Top of My Wish Listed " Black List "
Jet Black . Psalmopoeus 'Alquitran'
Gotta Go New World ...... Not Sorry

Last edited: