Isopod housing questions!

DevinWyldeheart

Arachnopeon
I have some new isopods due to be shipped out to me soon by Aquarimax (big yay!) and I have some housing questions. I ordered a starter setup with them so they have a place to stay til they grow a bit in number, but what then? I did buy a latching 15 qt sterilite from Big Lots today, but am not sure if it's too big an area to move them to after that. I am pretty sure the depth is ok since it's around the same as one of the terrariums I house some of my other pods in but am concerned the width might be too much if that makes sense? It seems more spread out than the other tanks. I will post a photo if needed.

I also have ventilation questions. I don't have a drill. Is there any other good way to provide holes for ventilation with mesh or something? I do have a box cutter and exacto knives.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Hey there! I'm going to write this in detail, since other new iso-keepers may have the same question. You already have other colonies, so feel free to skip around while reading.

The 15 quart container may or may not be too large depending on how many isopods you are getting. If you have ordered a massive iso-flock, it could be the right size, just vary your substrate depth according to your numbers. If you didn't get that many, a smaller container is preferred, but you can always adjust your substrate level. Just keep note that lower levels of substrate in large containers tend to dry out faster.
As for your hole-punching attempts, there are many things you can use if you don't have a drill. Take a good look at the size of your isopods first when they arrive, unless you know their size. Beginner tip: Isopods, unlike tarantulas or scorpions are not notorious hole-squeezers and tend to stay down low, preferably out of sight and under a piece of bark.
You can cut large holes and fix some mesh if you'd like, but this method is more apt to get your substrate too dry (my personal mistake). Most isopods like 50/50 with moisture in their environments, thus take a look at the stats of your variety first. I keep only about half my enclosure moist when I'm keeping just them alone; I have basic garden rolly-pollies and the panda type. Consider then the average humidity in your area and how many holes/ vents you plan to be making before you start cutting or punching. Are you in a humid location? If so, more holes may be right for you if your variety likes it moist. If you're in a dry place, you may need to do with less holes. On the flipside, if you're in a location that strongly varies with humidity throughout the year, opt for smaller holes you can tape or patch up as the seasons change.
Now for the hole punching! Take in mind the size of your friends and aim to have your holes where they can get lots of cross-ventilation. I sometimes use a sharp knife-tip and rotate the knife to bore a small hole. If you have a wood-burning kit, you may melt holes into the container. Some people like to use an hobby-knife and cut a large hole that they fit with a screen. Your box cutter and exacto-knife will be perfect for this. Additionally, I once saw a person who had an enclosure with slits in the plastic instead of holes. It was quite avant-garde to me. The slits let in air and allowed access when she poked in the plastic with her fingers, but the isopods on their own didn't have the strength to move them. Propping the slits with chopsticks and little shims of paper allowed them to vary airflow as the seasons changed. It's all up to you to decide what to do, and congratulations on acquiring a new isopod family!

DevinWyldeheart

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the help! The isopods I am getting are a mix of different colors of Porcellionides pruinosus. I am getting 12 of them to start with. I am not entirely sure how much humidity they need. I normally have been having to mist my other enclosures fairly often, I think since my room has air conditioning on fairly high. I get hot at night otherwise and can't sleep, though I suppose the isopods probably wouldn't mind if I turned it down so the room got warmer.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Thank you for the help! The isopods I am getting are a mix of different colors of Porcellionides pruinosus. I am getting 12 of them to start with. I am not entirely sure how much humidity they need. I normally have been having to mist my other enclosures fairly often, I think since my room has air conditioning on fairly high. I get hot at night otherwise and can't sleep, though I suppose the isopods probably wouldn't mind if I turned it down so the room got warmer.
Porcellionides pruinosus! Those fellows look like little flat pancakes with feet to me! Very cute! Fortunately for you, they are very hardy and can take a wide variety of temperatures and humidifies. For those fellows, they should be comfy when you are comfy, although I don't know about your other pals. Here are some links about their care:
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://www.crittersdirect.com/assets/images/Powder%20Blue%20Information%20Guide.pdf

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I would not house 12 in a 15qt tub I would put them in. 6qt so they will more rapidly start to breed compared to 25qt where more resources will go towards growth and not breeding.

DevinWyldeheart

Arachnopeon
I would not house 12 in a 15qt tub I would put them in. 6qt so they will more rapidly start to breed compared to 25qt where more resources will go towards growth and not breeding.
They won't be starting off in the 15 qt. I will have them in a smaller container to start with. The 15 qt is to move them to later when there are more

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
They won't be starting off in the 15 qt. I will have them in a smaller container to start with. The 15 qt is to move them to later when there are more
Sounds like a plan! The only ones I start off in bigger are some of the territorial large Porcellio like P. expansus, P. werneri, etc.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
I've had isopods, I first kept some in a Quick Trip cup and they had so much babies that I moved them to a pencil.box and they thrived and had more babies.

What I did was keep one side damp and the other dry with a piece of cork bark in the middle.

DevinWyldeheart

Arachnopeon
I found something to make holes in plastic containers. I am not entirely sure what it is but it worked on the bin I got. I was able to make a line of small holes on each side for ventilation. Including a pic of what I used. It isn't a pen or something but kinda looks like one. Edit: apparently it's called a scribing tool 16612884697234023647670018610154.jpg

Last edited:

A cave cricket

Arachnoknight
Hey there! I'm going to write this in detail, since other new iso-keepers may have the same question. You already have other colonies, so feel free to skip around while reading.

The 15 quart container may or may not be too large depending on how many isopods you are getting. If you have ordered a massive iso-flock, it could be the right size, just vary your substrate depth according to your numbers. If you didn't get that many, a smaller container is preferred, but you can always adjust your substrate level. Just keep note that lower levels of substrate in large containers tend to dry out faster.
As for your hole-punching attempts, there are many things you can use if you don't have a drill. Take a good look at the size of your isopods first when they arrive, unless you know their size. Beginner tip: Isopods, unlike tarantulas or scorpions are not notorious hole-squeezers and tend to stay down low, preferably out of sight and under a piece of bark.
You can cut large holes and fix some mesh if you'd like, but this method is more apt to get your substrate too dry (my personal mistake). Most isopods like 50/50 with moisture in their environments, thus take a look at the stats of your variety first. I keep only about half my enclosure moist when I'm keeping just them alone; I have basic garden rolly-pollies and the panda type. Consider then the average humidity in your area and how many holes/ vents you plan to be making before you start cutting or punching. Are you in a humid location? If so, more holes may be right for you if your variety likes it moist. If you're in a dry place, you may need to do with less holes. On the flipside, if you're in a location that strongly varies with humidity throughout the year, opt for smaller holes you can tape or patch up as the seasons change.
Now for the hole punching! Take in mind the size of your friends and aim to have your holes where they can get lots of cross-ventilation. I sometimes use a sharp knife-tip and rotate the knife to bore a small hole. If you have a wood-burning kit, you may melt holes into the container. Some people like to use an hobby-knife and cut a large hole that they fit with a screen. Your box cutter and exacto-knife will be perfect for this. Additionally, I once saw a person who had an enclosure with slits in the plastic instead of holes. It was quite avant-garde to me. The slits let in air and allowed access when she poked in the plastic with her fingers, but the isopods on their own didn't have the strength to move them. Propping the slits with chopsticks and little shims of paper allowed them to vary airflow as the seasons changed. It's all up to you to decide what to do, and congratulations on acquiring a new isopod family!
Are you riding a Harry Potter book or replying to a thread on AB?

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Are you riding a Harry Potter book or replying to a thread on AB?
Umm, I beg your pardon? I assure you I am not utilizing esoteric knowledge in any form. My family has kept isopods for quite a time and I simply wanted to aid the AB community with our knowledge. My father however, is an Asatru 'gothe', or shaman; my aunt is a Chinese tribal rootworker. I suppose magick can be used to make holes too for anyone who prefers.
To burn holes into a enclosure, we would highly recommend low-grade fire-based spells for best control while ensuring that individuals attempting wear personal protective equipment, as burning plastics can release toxic chemicals. Work outdoors as well on a non-flammable surface. Two excellent choices would be Breath of Light and The Song of Kali.

DevinWyldeheart

Arachnopeon
The isopods have arrived! Now to wait till I can get home and check on them then set them up in their starting enclosure. Thanks for all the help! I will be posting pics in media once they are all set up in their initial home.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
The isopods have arrived! Now to wait till I can get home and check on them then set them up in their starting enclosure. Thanks for all the help! I will be posting pics in media once they are all set up in their initial home.
Feed them fish food and veggies and they'll thrive, I was surprised at how much mine enjoyed fish flakes.