Is this a black widow?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes! That is absolutely a black widow spider. Probably the L. mactans "southern widow spider."

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yep, venom is right, female L. mactans.

and they do get big, but they are, on average, the smallest BW in NA.

spyd3r1

Arachnopeon
This one seems to be 2" at least but for some reason i thought they were about the size of a quarter. Anyways they are everywhere around here.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i would like to see a 2" mactans. southern variolus will get that size, and some monster freak hesperus, but i've yet to see a 2" mac.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
can you post a picture of the habitat if possible.

i have only found this 1 time outside. it was next to a potra pottie:eek:

i have seen them in my garage though. i am just curious as the what their natural environment looks like

spyd3r1

Arachnopeon
It was in the front of my car lot. Underneath a concrete ledge above a concrete sidewalk.

Last edited:

spyd3r1

Arachnopeon
I am in the outskirts of our biggest city. There is a small patch of woods maybe an acre or so right behind the carlot but this spider was surrounded by concrete about 50 yards from the nearest trees or bushes.

spyd3r1

Arachnopeon
i would like to see a 2" mactans. southern variolus will get that size, and some monster freak hesperus, but i've yet to see a 2" mac.
Thats not official man. It was def bigger than a quarter which was bigger than i thought they were. But anyways it was pretty big.

spyd3r1

Arachnopeon
She was right under the ledge beneath the better buisness bureau sign. i have since moved her to the back of the fence by the trees because my 2 nephews come up to the car lot often and i did not want one of them to get bit.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, either way nice find.:clap:

Seems these are more common near human structures than in the woods. i never see them in the woods, just in my garage.

thanks for sharing

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
looks like great habitat for them! bet if you went poking around a little more, you'd find plenty!