Is there any special way to remove a heat mat????

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a heat mat on the bottom of one of my Exo Terra's and I wanted to remove it and attach it to the side. Does anyone know of a way to do this without damaging the mat???

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
So is the mat glued to the bottom? If yes it all depends on what type of glue is used... I'd guess it is not possible to pull the thing off... but I don't know.

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes its a typical Exoterra small mat. It has a sticky side that adheres to the glass. I've unplugged it to let it cool so that it might be easier.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I mean... if you can't slowly tear it of with your bare hands I don't see how your gonna be able to get it off without going to more extreme means.

Is there a way for you to turn the entire tank onto its side and use it that way (don't know how your standard exo terra tanks look like)?

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
You just have to be extra careful NOT to bend it too much or crease it at ALL..

try some rubbing alcohol wipes ( first aid kit ) on on edge to start it off.

good luck

psionix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
3m adhesive remover.

a heatgun/blowdryer will help loosen up the adhesive too.

also if it's on flat glass you can use a razorblade in combination of all the above.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yep was going to suggest a solvent of some sort as well. If you don't want to deal with anything that has fumes perhaps mineral spirits.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A Possibility

I have had much success letting it cool, then use a razor blade to slide in between the glass and the heater. I have done this many times and 100% success

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The cleaning solutions based upon orange oil do a great job of loosening adhesives as well. The same cleaners will also remove most 'permanent' marker writing from vials and vial caps as well.