Is he dead?

Hank Scorpio

Arachnopeon
Its winter so my scorpion has been hibernating, I haven't seen him(I got the opportunity to check his sex, so yes its a male) for about 1-2 months now and the meal worms I have been giving him are just evolving into beetles.

I havent seen my scorpion but a few days ago I saw his claw detached from his body!! Now today I see his other claw next to it! Can someone tell me whats going on? I don't want to go digging in case his molting cause I know he needs piece and quiet, so I havent attempted to properly examine the limbs.

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What?????? Pull the "claw" out is it hollow and as thin as tissue paper? If yes he has molted ....If not something else got in there..............

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What species is this guy? I maybe wrong but if you haven't altered the temps and your temps are between 75-85 I don't think you are gong to see too much hibernation. I would think in 1-2 months he would take some food. I think he has been dead for a while. Can you see his tail or legs? Try to see if his legs are curled under him and his tail is straight. If so I'm pretty sure he is dead. Unless he molted and you are looking at the exo, but even then he would be looking for food by now. Typically you can catch them coming out at night even if they are a pet hole.

-Dustin

RichardMorris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Take an ice tea spoon in there and dig him out. The suspense is killing me.

On the other hand, I am pleased to finally read a thread that indicates an owner that doesn't molest the scorpion each day. And you recognize it for what it is and how it likes to live.

Hank Scorpio

Arachnopeon
Okay I pulled out one of the claws, its pretty solid and bends at the joints, not sure if its hollow or not.
I dont know fahrenheit only celcius and the temps would reach about 12 degrees celcius which is about 53 fahrenheit.
And the species is urodacus yaschenkoi.

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not sure about the species, but 53F seems a wee bit cold. Were you trying to prep it for breeding? Anyways. It sounds like your scorpion had passed a while ago. Scorpions remain semi malleable even after months. Actually I am a little surprised that his arm fell of unless crickets have been eating him.

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
53 is cold to me, let alone a scorpion. the poor thing shivered his claws off!!

XMX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know how much it bothers you to disturb the scorpion, heck, it bothers a lot of us, but this is one of those times you shouldn't resist.

It is very bad to resist this situation, for the sake of the scorpions health.
Also, if it is dead, you may want to get rid of it, it could bring some nasty bugs to the tank...

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like what happened to most of my scorps. Mites, worms, and phorid flies invaded my room. All my tanks got infested with them because the crickets I had were infested. Didn't look too closely at them before putting them into scorp tanks. Anyway the bugs ripped most of my scorps too pieces. Lost half my stock. Some went in burrows never to be seen again, and some died right in the open. One day they were fine the next the body parts were scattered all through out the tanks. (Notice: Not all my scorps were in communal setups, so we can't blame tank mates.)