Is fasting actually a good way to get them to lose weight?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
But fat T's don't need to eat. A very famous quote around these parts that originated from Coldblood. That being said, unless you think its cruel (which I do find silly IMO)...I don't see a reason to feed.
I'm well aware that they don't need to eat (and who regularly says it) but it's just less hassle to put them on a reduced schedule and feed smaller items so they don't fatten up any further and it gives me a better idea of when they actually enter pre-moult. I think the only time I've ever outright refused to feed something until it moulted was when I received a heinously fat P. atrichomatus juvie (his abdomen was easily over 3x carapace size) because I've never allowed a tarantula in my care to get that fat.

Like I said, it's extremely rare that I ever get to a point where I feel I have to reduce feeding (only happens with unusually slow growing specimens) as I've pretty much perfected my feeding schedules* so that I don't end up with obese Ts or overly long fasting periods prior to moults, I also don't do the whole heavier feeding right after a moult (that some of the more experienced keepers on here do) as they'll fatten naturally over the course of their moult cycles.

*Yeah, I know that'll trigger the "I don't don't do schedules" massive but weapons grade Autism means that I don't do winging it ;)

Last edited:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I'm well aware that they don't need to eat (and who regularly says it) but it's just less hassle to put them on a reduced schedule and feed smaller items so they don't fatten up any further and it gives me a better idea of when they actually enter pre-moult. I think the only time I've ever outright refused to feed something until it moulted was when I received a heinously fat P. atrichomatus juvie (his abdomen was easily over 3x carapace size) because I've never allowed a tarantula in my care to ever get that fat.

Like I said, it's extremely rare that I ever get to a point where I feel I have to reduce feeding (only happens with unusually slow growing specimens) as I've pretty much perfected my feeding schedules* so that I don't end up with obese Ts or overly long fasting periods prior to moults, I also don't do the whole heavier feeding right after a moult (that some of the more experienced keepers on here do) as they'll fatten naturally over the course of their moult cycles.

*Yeah, I know that'll trigger the "I don't don't do schedules" massive but weapons grade Autism means that I don't do winging it ;)
Haha. On point with your disclaimer. Just think its so much more natural and I enjoy seeing the varying feeding responses. To each their own as long as the animals are well taken care of which in this case they are either way :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Regina’s been quite fat lately, despite not eating in two months. Which, you know, she’s a tarantula, so two months isn’t much for her. But lately I’ve been trying to lose a little bit of weight myself, and I already knew that just not eating is a very unsafe way to lose weight, but I wondwred why. As long as you don’t starve to death, and begin eating again before it’s been too long, you’d think it wouldn’t be bad.
So I did research, and it turns out that, along with the other detrimental health effects of starving, you actually don’t lose much weight in the beginning - UNTIL you start starving and wasting away. Because when we don’t eat, our bodies prepare to begin starving, and that means slowing the metabolism way, way down. Hardly any fat consumption happens, so you stay at almost the same weight despite not eating.
I was thinking that maybe tarantulas also slow their metabolism down when they have no food. People often say on here that you need to stop feeding them if they’re fat, until they’re no longer fat, but should you actually just feed them smaller meals instead?

The truth is I let them tell me when they are hungry.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Mine is a sling and is a little chub. (It could be getting close to molting tho) My G.Pulchra is a bit chubby too. I think my terrestrials really seem to pack on weight easier than my arboreals.