Irminia or cambridgei? Part Two

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This was the best pic i could get before I disturbed it and it ran into its burrow.

Molted June 2

So what's the call?

imatroll

Arachnopeon
Looks like a really awesome irminia or a kinda lame cambridgei. Maybe irminia. The color on it's opisthosoma is darker, and resembles the one of an irminia more.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is this a test ? Cause I thought as juvies they look almost identical correct ?
I want to say cambridgei just cause I've only seen my Irminia once since Ive had it--- that was during a transfer. I still only got a glimpse and I had to tear open her curtain 6 x for that.
so I'm still going with the sheep- Irminia ?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Is this a test ? Cause I thought as juvies they look almost identical correct ?
I want to say cambridgei just cause I've only seen my Irminia once since Ive had it--- that was during a transfer. I still only got a glimpse and I had to tear open her curtain 6 x for that.
so I'm still going with the sheep- Irminia ?
D... Did you just call everybody sheep :confused:

I will guess that's irminia. If it's about 2", you will find out in about one or two more molts, as it switches to adult patterns. Though, I think I remember seeing cambridgei slings of similar size being significantly lighter in color than that, so I think irminia is a pretty safe bet.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Looks like an irminia. Aren't the stripes on the abdomen more pronounced on irminia and a little "fuzzier" or blurry on cambridgei? :confused: I could be wrong about that.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to have to say that's an irminia, this is whay my P. cambridgei looked at 2"

I can see how the olive carapace can throw you off, but I got a female irminia of a slightly larger size than yours is now, and it's carapace was olive around part of it, it could just be a color they grow out of? My girl molted awhile ago and her carapace is almost completely black now.

synic

Arachnosquire
I'm going to go the other way... It's a P. cambridgei

First, I'm pretty sure that's what you said it was sold to you as. The only reason you brought up this question in the first place is that you thought it looked like a P. irminia sling, and you didn't know they looked so similar. I can't find the thread, I looked, but I swear that's what you said, right?

Second, and I'm no pro or anything, so I'm probably wrong, but the carapace of a P. irminia is a pink color, like so:

While the carapace of a P. cambridgei is a tan color, like is shown in your picture.

I guess you'll know for sure in a molt or two, right?

Last edited:

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like my P. cambridgei did before its last molt...in my pic the markings on the abdomen are not as bold but I think that is because it ate a little too much.

Attachments

Last edited:

VinceG

Arachnobaron
Why are there so many people saying that this is an irminia?

That looks like a perfectly normal P.cambridgei to me. I've raised 2 of them from second instars sling, they both were exactly like that when they were at 1.5 - 2''.

Here is an old picture of one of my cambridgei

Looks identical. As synic said, irminias usually have darker legs and a pinkish carapace.

synyster

Arachnobaron
I'm going with P.cambridgei here. This spider is identical to one of mine which is the same size. Will snatch pics if possible tonight...