Interesting Mygalomorphs

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm curious, what species of mygalomorphs (other than tarantulas) have people kept that they found the most interesting? Diplurids come to mind, but what else have people kept? I used to have a Sphodros abboti and a species of trapdoor spider. Wouldn't mind getting back into those again!

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Only own a few myglamorphs, would like more..... but I'm struggling on wether to make room for more by parting ways with some tarantulas for space or just sticking to what I currently own.

Cyphonisia sp 'silver' trapdoor.... I guess this things still alive? the cricket I put in is gone lol. Haven't seen this one in a fair while but I won't be digging in the subtrate to check as last time I did this with one of my others I uncovered a very heavy premolt immature male and I felt extremely bad for destroying the poor guys setup.

Cyphonisia sp 'Orange leg' trapdoor < This is the poor guy I dug up, now a MM looking for a female.......... seemingly no one over here has one as I've posted adverts for him but to no avail....

Cyphonisia sp 'black' love this girl, ravenous feeder and has a cool little turret the only one of my trapdoors I could catch on film feeding 9/10.

Then last but not least......... Acanthogonatus pissi, from appearance to web onstruction and feeding response... I love these things tried to breed her but she ate the sack not long before I was due to pull it which was a shame as I'm yet to see CB babies over here for sale.

One supplier I use currently has Acanthogonatus recinto in stock and I'm trying my hardest to evade the site haha because I know if I keep looking at it, I'll buy it!!!!
I'm also very interested in Linothele genus, wouldn't mind owning a couple of them.... Also would like some of the Macrothele genus, but you need a DWA over here.

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Only own a few myglamorphs, would like more..... but I'm struggling on wether to make room for more by parting ways with some tarantulas for space or just sticking to what I currently own.

Cyphonisia sp 'silver' trapdoor.... I guess this things still alive? the cricket I put in is gone lol. Haven't seen this one in a fair while but I won't be digging in the subtrate to check as last time I did this with one of my others I uncovered a very heavy premolt immature male and I felt extremely bad for destroying the poor guys setup.

Cyphonisia sp 'Orange leg' trapdoor < This is the poor guy I dug up, now a MM looking for a female.......... seemingly no one over here has one as I've posted adverts for him but to no avail....

Cyphonisia sp 'black' love this girl, ravenous feeder and has a cool little turret the only one of my trapdoors I could catch on film feeding 9/10.

Then last but not least......... Acanthogonatus pissi, from appearance to web onstruction and feeding response... I love these things tried to breed her but she ate the sack not long before I was due to pull it which was a shame as I'm yet to see CB babies over here for sale.

One supplier I use currently has Acanthogonatus recinto in stock and I'm trying my hardest to evade the site haha because I know if I keep looking at it, I'll buy it!!!!
I'm also very interested in Linothele genus, wouldn't mind owning a couple of them.... Also would like some of the Macrothele genus, but you need a DWA over here.
Those are some nice spiders you have there, Jay. Seems like you get a nice variety of trapdoors over there.

I've been wanting an A. pissi for a while now. Such a pretty spider and it seems like they are a lot of fun to keep! I also looked up the A. recinto and I would be trying to evade that site too!

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Those are some nice spiders you have there, Jay. Seems like you get a nice variety of trapdoors over there.

I've been wanting an A. pissi for a while now. Such a pretty spider and it seems like they are a lot of fun to keep! I also looked up the A. recinto and I would be trying to evade that site too!
Yea I'd definately recommend any Acanthogonatus sp. very cool spiders.

love the trapdoors.... theres just something great about owning a jar of dirt with a lid inside of it lol!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yea I'd definately recommend any Acanthogonatus sp. very cool spiders.

love the trapdoors.... theres just something great about owning a jar of dirt with a lid inside of it lol!
Lol, it really doesn't sound that much different to some of the T species people keep!

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Yeah i agree trapdoors are brilliant to keep especially since you hardly ever see them lol, I've just bought a Cyphonisia silver earlier on, but beforehand and still got a common Gorgyrella Red trapdoor, both keeping in the same way.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I like the really obscure species, like megahuxura, hexurella, and the absurdly tiny microhexura..

Im still having trouble ID'ing my supposed "Megahexura", however i DID find a few large vertical funnel-webs, so im guessing it might be mega.. Still pretty cool if its a hexurella, though.

I need to be able to zoom in on its spinnerets, as this is how they're ID'ed..

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found this next to my driveway, freaked me out, might be stolida, so I was told. I'm going to take one with me when I move, they can get pretty big and I have a feeling they can live a long time. I didn't even know they were in my yard for years.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I found this next to my driveway, freaked me out, might be stolida, so I was told. I'm going to take one with me when I move, they can get pretty big and I have a feeling they can live a long time. I didn't even know they were in my yard for years.
WHOA that's a nice one. gotta be like 15-20 years old.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I like the really obscure species, like megahuxura, hexurella, and the absurdly tiny microhexura..

Im still having trouble ID'ing my supposed "Megahexura", however i DID find a few large vertical funnel-webs, so im guessing it might be mega.. Still pretty cool if its a hexurella, though.

I need to be able to zoom in on its spinnerets, as this is how they're ID'ed..
That's a really cool group. What's the care like on those?

Wow, that's gorgeous! Big girl too. You going to hunt around for more of those then?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
pannaking22 said:
That's a really cool group. What's the care like on those?
pretty simple, they like high humidity. The one i have builds a sheet-web, then builds a burrow and constructs a funnel. they behave like mini diplurids. If mine is Megahexura fulva, she'll actually get much larger, those can have a 1" BL, with a 1.5" legspan. Certainly large enough to be awesome.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
pretty simple, they like high humidity. The one i have builds a sheet-web, then builds a burrow and constructs a funnel. they behave like mini diplurids. If mine is Megahexura fulva, she'll actually get much larger, those can have a 1" BL, with a 1.5" legspan. Certainly large enough to be awesome.
That is pretty easy then. Sounds like they are pretty heavy webbers. More than large enough to be awesome :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
That is pretty easy then. Sounds like they are pretty heavy webbers. More than large enough to be awesome :)
In this case, the smaller ones are the rarer and cooler species :D

So far, one of my favorites is calisoga, they are absolutely beautiful mygs. Nice metallic silver hairs, with an awesome cobalt/gunmetal blue sheen. They look incredible in sunlight, and i have yet to see a photo that captures that awesome metallic look.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In this case, the smaller ones are the rarer and cooler species :D

So far, one of my favorites is calisoga, they are absolutely beautiful mygs. Nice metallic silver hairs, with an awesome cobalt/gunmetal blue sheen. They look incredible in sunlight, and i have yet to see a photo that captures that awesome metallic look.
Makes sense :D Dang, I'll have to keep my eye out for Calisoga! Those are gorgeous!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
THESE ARE NOT MY IMAGES.

Liphistus:

Aptostichus:

apomastus kristinae (i think this is one of cacoseraph's pics):

Promyrmekiaphila

there are quite a few in socal!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man, I've wanted a Liphistius for a while. Such a cool looking spider!