Info on Indian Star Tortoises

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been considering buying an Indian Star tortoise for a while now. I have kept other tortoises so I know (approximately) what is involved, but I was wondering about the star tortoise's temperament, any unusual or difficult husbandry requirements or obnoxious CITES paperwork. TIA.

Karen N.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know they're expensive, thats about it. :)

Plug "indian star tortoise" into Google, it brings up all sorts of stuff.

Rav

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Karen,
Hi, I've kept about 6 Geochelone elegans at different occasions. No CITES paperwork is involved unless you're importing them.
They're a pretty shy species. But of course they will get used to you. They're not very hard to maintain. Their diet should be mostly grasses and really fibery stuff. Fruit should never be offered. Low protein, high fiber kinda thing. They'll eat prickly pear cactus.
They're not the most personable of tortoises, but they are extremely beautiful. They like it hot, a 95+ degrees F basking spot is necessary.
They are prone to pyramiding. Some speculate that this is due to the links between the Sun's full spectrum lighting, nutrition/calcium, and even night time cooling.
Indian stars are not the easiest species to keep, but then they're not that hard. They come from a really grassy dry scrub part of India. I have some pics which I could either post here or send them to you.
Hope this helps a little.
john

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
John,
Thanks for the response. I'd love to see some pictures. I'm really surprised that you shouldn't feed them fruit. Why is that, the sugar content is bad for them but they like it better? Like iguanas turning into lettuce junkies? I've kept California Desert tortoises and Russian tortoises and I fed them the mixed veggies and fruit that is usually recommended but that is not necessarily the best diet for all tortoises. So, do you feed your tortoises dried grasses like alfalfa or do they need fresh grass, dandelion greens, or watercress? Also, do you supplement with calcium powder or vitamins? I apologize for all the questions but it's hard to find an unbiased person with first hand experience with this species.

Karen N.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't have mine anymore. I felt like I couldn't give them the diet they needed. I feel like I would have failed them if they grew up with pyramiding scutes.
Their diet should consist of grasses like Bermuda,
leafy stuff such as dandalion greens, clover (mine ate around the clover), endive, grape leaves, mulberry. I never tried the prickly pear 'cause I wasn't able to get it here in PA.
I've read that if you feed them a diet that contains fruit or items containing animal matter (dog/cat food), their shells will pyramid and internal organs will disease (renal failure, etc.)
With most sun-loving reptiles I've kept in the past, a full spectrum lighting and a hot spot is a must. Calcuim supplements (phosphorus free!) were offered as well as a vitamin/mineral supplement. I used Repcal and the vitamin A free Herptivite.
Here's a link for Star Torts caresheet/articles:
Chelonia
Browse around and find what you need. There's a care sheet in there under Star Tortoise.
john

Attachments

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
John,
Thank you for answering my questions. Those were very nice looking tortoises in your picture.
Karen N.