Incubating Nephila eggsack

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, I figured it got too cold in my room last night, so I removed the eggsack from the web and put it in a small home-made incubator in the large aquarium I that my slings call home. After removing the loose silk surrounding the sack, I found that the sac itself was quite hard, I thought it would be really soft (I didn't squeeze it or something, just felt that way between my fingers). Anyone know if this is normal? The eggs are orange coloured.
Anyways, the big girl is fattening up at lightning fast speed, can she produce multiple eggsacks from one mating? I know widow spiders can, so I think a Nephila could do this too.
Thanx,
Joost

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nephila

Yes, the hardening is normal and the orange color of the eggs is a good sign. The females can produce more than one sac. Keep an eye on her and tell us how she does, as well as the egg sac.

Alex S.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanx for helping once again! The spider has rebuilt his web again last night, it's getting bigger and bigger! She doesn't remove all webbing (this is normal I read) so her web grows bigger and bigger. This is kind of funny since there are still some scuttle flies in my room, so I can see where I should throw the crickets, in the web that doesn't have the flies. I sprayed her web again today (beautiful to see her drinking from the web), it's an awesome sight how the threads suddenly appear out of nowhere when water droplets get stuck in it!
greetz,
Joost

david

Arachnopeon
nephila

HELLO joost, good to see you put the egg sack some where warm it will help speed up the development of the sling.

I feed my nephila on crickets and wax worms of wich she relishes.my ariope from west africa has laid yet another sling that makes it now three ,good greef.

good luck joost.

david

Arachnopeon
argiope

ARGIOPE sling hatches,time from14/11/02 -30/11/02

THIS SEEMS VERY FAST HATCHING TIME

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hello David, I think you are getting the words sling and eggsac mixed up. A sling stands for spiderling which is the individual baby spider after hatching, while the eggsac is of course the silken ball that holds the babies/eggs while they are developing.

Alex S.

david

Arachnopeon
egg sack

Thanks alex .

Although i thought the term sling ment the frothy like web covering the egg sack ,wich lies in the main web.

Last edited: