incomplete molt

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Tanzanian whip scorpion is unable to get its right pedipalp free from its old self. What should I do? Its been about five hour now since I first noticed that it was unable to break free.

monalisa

Arachnopeon
I would try to mist the areas around him

:?Maybe needs more humidity to get the job done

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this may be a stupid idea. being i know NOTHING about scorpians. but my first thought was mabey a drop of vegtable oil to help himout. but idont know how that would workout.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is only a palp its not *too* serious, the specimen can have the palp removed worst case scenario. Warm soapy water is good for helping lubricate the molt off, however a few questions

What is the humidity in the tank?
How long ago did the molt process begin?
How far down the pedipalp, is the molt still attached? do you have pictures to clarify?

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a guess, I'd say the humidity is at about 70%. The the exuvia is attached up to the joint on the right pedipalp. I first noticed it was molting about 6 hours ago and it was already at that point.

If the palp has to come off, do I have to help out or would it just fall off?

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's still on there, what should I do? Would it hurt it if I pulled or cut off the limb?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
let the critter harden up first, darken and what have you, that way you wont further damage it by fiddling with the molt.

Once he is nice and dark take a pair of scissors and try to trim the majority of the molt from the limb, and se how that proves to be, he may or may not have restricted movement, But it may work aswell! I wish a scorpion keeper could pipe up on here as I am not sure if scorps remove legs like spiders do.

However, removing the most of the molt will help in mobility of the critter and in its ability to feed :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like I'm too late to help out. But if there's a next time for anybody that reads this, I've taken care of the problem a few times before with scorpions. I put a drop of water where the new exo meets the old(soap is toxic to inverts, esp., if it gets in the book lungs). After I add a drop or two, I grab the area that is stuck and pull on it veeeery slowly. I let them try to use their own strength to pull away much of the time. Very, very slowly, it can take several minutes. I just sit there and be patient, gently tugging now and then.

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would that still work if its been on there for three days. I'm just going to wait until he hardens up and try to get him to drop the limb, if that's possible.