Immature P. audax, or some other species??

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check out these photos, and tell me what you think?

I caught this little one on my coreopsis flowers over the summer. It was resembling one of the P audax slings I had released into the garden in spring, so I recaptured it.

Since then, it has moulted twice, and its appearance has changed immensely! The large spot on the posterior is red, whereas both spiders' in my breeding pair is white. This sling also has a very unmistakable ruddy colour to its head and parts of the body. There are many different places where there are white markings, as well. It almost resembles a tiny Phidippus regius! All the other slings I've found from Arwen's brood have definitely been black and white!

Anyways, who can identify this spider?? it was approximately 4 mm when I found it, and now it's about the size of my pinky nail after two moults. It only began to develop this ruddy color in the last moult. Some green on the chelicerae is also visible. I hope these are decent enough pictures! This spider is small (not to mention quite active), and my photographic equipment is limited.

Last edited:

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your spider is a Phidippus, looks like an immature male princeps based on coloration, but it will easier to ID once mature.

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think you may be correct; my spider is very similar, when compared to the photographs on Bugguide.net! ;)

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definitely NOT P. Princeps!

After yet another moult, this spider is definitely showing some different characteristics than P. princeps! I was just able to take some better photographs, and I will post them as soon as my camera recharges.

This spider definitely has an orange iridescence on its anterior, and to the abdomen. The part of the abdomen closest to the carapace is rimmed with white. There is a spotted pattern on the abdomen, with a large central pinkish spot surrounded by smaller white ones. The chelicerae are beginning to show more of a flashy green.

The palps are reticulated-- black and tan, and covered in buff-coloured fuzz. The legs are also reticulated, in tortoise-shell colours.

I'm glad I snagged this little bugger. I've not seen another like it.

Stay tuned to this thread for the new photos. I think I have used up my upload space, so I will just remove the ones from the old posts, and put up the new in this post.

Last edited:

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, as I said, it looks like princeps, and it will be easier to ID when mature.

I don't think it's princeps now, either. At least eight Phids in MI, and there could be significant color and pattern change during the next few molts, unless this one is a tiny adult or subadult (I'm assuming it's a small juvenile when compared to the fly).

Juvenile phids are often hard to impossible to ID. At this moment I would say audax and it will lose all of it's color and just be typical black and white, but maybe I'm wrong again.

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He or she sure is pretty, though, eh? Whatever spider it may be. :)

I sure hope it doesn't change colour too much, if it is an audax. Would be neat to have a ruddy colour phase to breed into the bloodline I've been working on. So far, I've been breeding for size and temperament-- an addition of unusual colouring would make my designer subspecies of "pet" jumper much more interesting and attractive. I've become a bit obsessed with amateur spider genetics. So far, I have introduced two different males to Arwen, and large broods have followed each time.

I am hoping to see a few of the traits of one of my wild-caught males, Diogenes, appear in the remaining strongest of this last brood I moved to my outdoor "feeding garden" (a container herb garden I've rigged up with a mosquito netting tent over top). Diogenes has lovely numerous white markings, and a tinge of blue to his chelicerae. He is also very friendly, and seems to enjoy human interaction. He was actually found inside my house last spring, and he was running free for a few weeks before I caught him up. He seemed to follow me from room to room-- sometimes even hanging down on a little string to get a closer look while I went about my daily chores! I "test" wild-caughts, before I even collect them as possible breeding specimens, to ensure they meet my criteria of having a docile, inquisitive nature.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this while collecting P. audax, but many times, they will just hop right up onto your outstretched hand, or crawl right into an open deli cup! :p Or, maybe the word has gotten out among them how good of digs the "Crawl Inn" (my pet name for my abode) is!

I would like to find another large, friendly wc female, to start a separate bloodline, but I've had no such luck in finding one this year. If anyone else has an extra big-butt sweetheart they would part with, I would be grateful.

Last edited:

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dang I just let go of a huge girl about a month ago that had had babies while in my care. Before and after she gave birth(laid eggsac) she would just jump from hand to hand and crawl around me. I would have given her to you if you would had posted this earlier, seein as i am a hop, skip, and jump away(12 oaks mall area).

Hope ya find a big purty girl:)
P. audax rock!!

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tell you what, Ritzman..

THE BEST place to go spider hunting around this area is Proud Lake Recreation. What's really odd, is I find some of the best specimens on the walls of the campground area latrine!{D

I've become a bit well known as the "spider lady" to many of the park rangers. I actually have the campground matron starting to call me when she sees something I might be interested in! :)

If you happen to see anymore unusually large female jumpers in these remaining warm days, don't hesitate to send a PM!

Meer

Arachnopeon
jynxxxedangel, I find your selective breeding of P. audax very interesting! I have some that I am seriously considering breeding when they mature. I also have an interest in genetics. Too bad we don't live anywhere near each other, we could help each other out with breeding projects. I won't be doing any breeding till next year anyway since my jumpers are only slings.

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There's always the good ol' U.S. mail, luv! :)

My female came all the way from California Rockies; it cost me twenty bucks to ship her here-- and I'm glad I snatched her up. She's right fit, and a little wonder. :) I wouldn't trade her for a good pointin' bird dog. Not even if that dog could tree and point cat-a-mounts.

Let's talk. Hell, all of us mad arachno-geneticists should be in cahoots.{D Our spiders will take over the world someday. {D

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some bad timing ya got there 'angel. My mom called me up Wed. and said, "Mike, I've got you another big spider with green fangs". I went over there and ended up just letting her go.
Next time ill keep her and gladly give her to you.
I'm sure there will be more because they are all over my mom's yard.

Meer

Arachnopeon
Yes we shall take over the world with our army of enhanced spiders! Muahahaha!

I only wish I could fine more P. audax. in my area. I haven't seen any since the sac I got my four from. Various orb weavers, wolfs, and recluses everywhere, but my favorites, the jumpers, are few and far between. I'll keep looking.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
TONS of audax and regius here...I was just lucky enough to find a P. otiosus female recently and she's cute as can be. :)

I don't knwo what your jumper is, but it's an awesome looking thing!

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This spider is DEFINITELY a P. audax! It has begun to show more black since its last moult. I'm going to breed this one next spring, for sure, whether it be male or female. Let's hope it's a GIRL!! My big momma is getting old, and all the subsequent young I still have are quite immature, yet. Some of the others have begun to show this colouring so far in their larval stages, so I think this may be one of the original first brood.

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hooray! Both of my sub-adult strongest of the last two broods are definitely FEMALES!!!!!!!!!

A flashlight and a magnifying glass have helped me to confirm the presence of epigyna!{D {D {D {D {D {D

Little miss red is definitely a split-tail! :) I can't wait to breed her next year!

Now that I know she is a girl, I think I will name her "Azhriaz," after my favourite character from Tanith Lee's "Tales From Flat Earth." :)

Last edited:

jynxxxedangel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The little ones get aphids when they are in season; fruit flies (D. hydeii), mashed crickets, or mashed mealworms if it's too cold to find wild food which is small enough. :)