ID // Orange Jumping Spider

Godzirra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok, i tried to do research online, but couldn't find anything, is this a common jumping spider?
I live in West Virginia / USA

It was hanging around my husbands office area for the past week lol
Last night it was on a bottle in the kitchen counter, i go to grab a small jar to catch it, my husband was like "be careful, he might run away", so i slowly brought the jar towards the spider, and to my suprise, he jumped right in.......i was like "uhhhhhhh that was easy"

This is the only pics i have so far and they suck, so i'm sorry.

He isn't red, but more of an orange color, very rich dark orange, and velvet like body.
He is not skiddish. Don't let the pics fool you, "he" has a lot of white on the body, and his legs are mostly white, the tips of the legs are orange as well.

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A Phidippus whitmani.
Can't tell what sex, but the coloration you describe suggests adult male.

Godzirra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh sweet!!!

Thank you for the prompt reply, i changed his environment and threw a cricket in, this was the result.........so cute with his attack.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A Phidippus whitmani.
Can't tell what sex, but the coloration you describe suggests adult male.
There are lots of orange jumpers in the Phidippus genus. P. apacheanus, for example. From those pics it really is impossible to give a species. Go to http://bugguide.net and look at pics in the Phidippus section. You might be able to get close to an ID that is reliable enough to label and put on a shelf in your personal collection. Look at P. cardinalis as well, though this spider is more redish.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to be clear, I do think that Phidippus whitmani is the most probable ID based on the pics... and for the purpose of a personal collection, that may be enough... but if you're interested in IDing spiders and you don't have a good camera, or spider ID books, then you should become familiar with how to find good pics for comparison on the web, because posting pics like that won't get you very far at all.

Good luck.