ID me!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
okay, i don't have the pic just yet, but i collected a pede from under a rock a week or two ago. it is about 1 inch long and is a very dark red. from looking at it, i have narrowed it down to 2 families, either scolopendridae, or Lithobiidae. This thing downed 5 crix in under 24 hours! any idea? will get a pic soon.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i have narrowed it down to 2 families, either scolopendridae, or Lithobiidae
OK, this is an easy one !

mmmmm,...it's a centipede !

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Jaytek said:
i think the man means...... get a pic before you post :p
something like that :p

if ya simply count the amount of segment,... you can tell if it's a scolopendridae or not.

check this URL

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's a handy little book (actually, it's Vol. 45, Issue No. 3 of the Kansas School Natuarlist, published by the Emporia Satate University) called "Centipedes and Millipedes with an emphasis on North American Fauna" by Rowland M. Shelley. This little booklet contains brief descriptions and identifyng features of all the orders of centipedes and millipedes. It won't help much beyond order, but it only costs $1, making it the best value since Levi and Levi's "Spiders and their Kin"! It can be ordered from Kansas School Naturalist, Division of Biological Sciences, PO box 4050, Emporia State University, Emporia, KS 66801-5087

Wade

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi!
Lithobiomorpha have 15 pairs of legs and the tergits alternate in their length (first one after the head is shorter, than a longer one , a shorter one ...), at about the 7th pair of legs there are two longer ones.
Scolopendromorpha have about 21 pairs of legs and the tergits are more or less even in lenght, if I remember right.
If it has more than 30 pairs of legs its a geophilomorpha.

I hope this helps!
Bernhard

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lithobiomorpha it is! and BTW steven, i gave you a lot more info than that! :evil:

Lithobiomorpha
about 1" long
Dark red colored
Found under a stone
Collected in Wichita, Kansas

that doesn't narrow it down at all?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
pandinus said:
and BTW steven, i gave you a lot more info than that! :evil:
pandinus said:
i have narrowed it down to 2 families, either scolopendridae, or Lithobiidae
did ya count the segments before your 1st post ?