ID and care for this spider

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
Well, my sons brought in what they thought was a dead spider from the patio when it was cold (in the 30s). Once it warmed up we saw that it was alive. We would like to add it to the collection, but I have not had a true spider before.

Can anybody tell me what this little guy is and how to best care for him?
We are in Denton Texas, and that is my thumb in the picture, if that helps with size. Thanks!

Attachments

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I remember correctly, Buthus has a spider very similar to that.

All I can say for sure now is that it is a type of crab spider.

Last edited:

Erigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a Thomisidae.. If tou make a clear photo of ocular disposition i'll can tell you if it is Ozyptila sp. or Xysticus sp...:) (although i think this is Ozyptila sp. because i have enlarged first photo and i saw that the median superiors eyes are quite neighbours, so, this spider is Ozyptila sp. (i Think so).

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For what, i know that Buthus is a genus of Scorpion.. i research on platnick and i dont' find anything..
Buthus is a guy here on the boards (and, as you said, a scorpion genus). ;)

The spider is definitely Thomisidae. I can't go closer than that so my post is redundant.

Erigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Buthus is a guy here on the boards (and, as you said, a scorpion genus). ;)

The spider is definitely Thomisidae. I can't go closer than that so my post is redundant.
{D :D yes i understand a little time after i posted:D

whatever I think that this spider is Ozyptila sp.

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
You guys are awesome! So, now the big question, how do I take care of him? I only have tarantulas, and I feed dubia. This little guy is so teensy I dont know what I should feed it. As bad as this sounds, he is in his little container with the leaf we found him on and I have been misting for water.

Thanks!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you can try feeding prekilled dubia nymphs but i am not sure if that will work

when i kept local trues i would just take 5-10 minutes in the morning and catch flies and other bugs. of course, i did live across the street from a dairy farm so there were LOTS of flies around

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
even if you´re living in a city without any farms around you it´s possible to get flies. I go to a fishing store once a month and buy 1-2 packages of maggots. I feed that maggots and the flies aswell and never had any problems (maggots that are not eaten by the spider/scoprion/centipede turn into flies after ~10 days and your pet gets a second chance *evil*)

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
even if you´re living in a city without any farms around you it´s possible to get flies. I go to a fishing store once a month and buy 1-2 packages of maggots. I feed that maggots and the flies aswell and never had any problems (maggots that are not eaten by the spider/scoprion/centipede turn into flies after ~10 days and your pet gets a second chance *evil*)
NNNNOoooooooooooooooooooooooo! OMG! maggots?!? Dubia were a hurdle for me, took a long time to get over that grossness factor. I have to draw the line at maggots. lol. Hey, can i feed him fruit flies from the store?

Also, can I use the same substrate that I use for Ts? and just mist for water?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
FF suck
i would try cut up dubia first

same substrate for t is fine. treat it like an ~arboreal tarantula sling and you should be good to go